Exception when inserting special character

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for MySQL
noah

Exception when inserting special character

Post by noah » Fri 25 Jun 2010 15:37

Take a look at this special character -> ’
It looks like an apostrophe, right? But it's not. Here's an apostrophe -> '

That special character is not on my keyboard and is pasted from Word.

I have a test DB with a test table with a single TEXT column called testtext. The following query runs without a hiccup (and the insert is performed):
insert into test (testtext) values ('hey y’all');
(notice that special character in there)

However, the following code throws an exception at SaveChanges:

Code: Select all

var test = new test();
                test.testtext = "hey y’all";
                ent.tests.AddObject(test);
                ent.SaveChanges();
The exception thrown is:
Incorrect string value: '\x92all' for column 'testtext' at row 1
Stack trace:
at System.Data.Mapping.Update.Internal.UpdateTranslator.Update(IEntityStateManager stateManager, IEntityAdapter adapter)\r\n at System.Data.EntityClient.EntityAdapter.Update(IEntityStateManager entityCache)\r\n at System.Data.Objects.ObjectContext.SaveChanges(SaveOptions options)\r\n at System.Data.Objects.ObjectContext.SaveChanges()\r\n ...
I emailed support and haven't even received a response.

StanislavK
Devart Team

Post by StanislavK » Tue 29 Jun 2010 10:30

I've tried to insert this special character using Entity Framework and succeeded. Could you please specify the version of MySQL server you are using and its character set?

noah

Post by noah » Mon 12 Jul 2010 15:53

Version of MySQL is 5.5 character set is UTF8. Inserts work fine from the command line/mysql workbench, but fail from EF with dotConnect pro 5.7.124

Other special characters throw exceptions as well. Last week I had an issue with this character:

»

StanislavK
Devart Team

Post by StanislavK » Tue 13 Jul 2010 12:07

Could you please specify the following:
- the values of server variables specifying the character set; you can get them, e.g., by executing this command:

Code: Select all

show variables like '%char%';
- the exact script creating the test table (including its 'CHARACTER SET' property).

At the moment, we couldn't reproduce the issue in our environment.

Also, when executing the insert as a plain SQL command, did you use some standard tool or the MySqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery method? Can the problem be reproduced in the latter case?