click once deployment on .net 3.5 SP1 - wpf entity framework

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for MySQL
avmoldovan

click once deployment on .net 3.5 SP1 - wpf entity framework

Post by avmoldovan » Tue 12 May 2009 11:02

Hi,

I've created a click once installer, the app works fine, but not the connection to the mysql db using dotconnect; all the dotconnect required DLLs are installed by the click once app, but it still refuses to work fine (message is : provider cannot open, or somehting similar).
The DbProviderFactories configuration was added there, and correctly configured.

The only way we could get around this was to install using minimum installation type the dotconnect provider on the target machine.

Did anyone else had this issue?
If anyone solved it, can you post a sample app?

Thanks

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Wed 13 May 2009 14:01

Could you please post here the InnerException message and the stack trace, if there are any? To obtain the call stack, attach Visual Studio
(Debug -> Attach to Proccess) to the deployment process of another Visual Studio.
Before attaching don't forget to make these settings in VS that you are using to debug the another one:
a) in the (Debug -> Exceptions) window check Common Language Runtime Exceptions;
b) in the (Tools -> Options) window, Debugging -> General - uncheck Enable Just My Code (Managed Only).[/list]

avmoldovan

Post by avmoldovan » Thu 14 May 2009 14:53

Hi AndreyR,

This is the error I can see in the Event Viewer. Unfortunatelly I can't attach the debugger on the machines where this is reproducing.
Here's the error:

Code: Select all

EventType clr20r3, P1 wpfapplication1.exe, P2 1.0.0.0, P3 4a083128, P4 system.data.entity, P5 3.5.0.0, P6 488ef981, P7 1b48, P8 a, P9 system.argumentexception, P10 NIL.
I have found others having similar errors, but from all the proposed solutions only one worked: install dotConnect mysql using minimal instalation; no copy of the devart files, GAC deploy or anything else helped.
Thanks

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Fri 15 May 2009 08:31

For the Entity Framework application deployment you need the following:
1. Put Devart.Data.dll, Devart.Data.MySql.dll and Devart.Data.MySql.Entity.dll either to GAC or to your application folder.
2. Register dbProviderFactories either in machine.config or in the configuration file of your application, like the following:

Code: Select all

These steps should be sufficient to successfully deploy the application.
You can also find these instructions here in our online documentation, section Deploying an Entity Framework Project:
http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/mysql/docs/EF.html