Not clearing connection pool!

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for MySQL
Richy

Not clearing connection pool!

Post by Richy » Thu 16 Jun 2005 06:08

Hi,

I have tested mysql direct and i like it, its the fastest connector arround. But before i buy it i found an issue with clearing the current connection pool when you update the asp.net application. Let me clarefy things:

When you have an asp.net (webservice) application running there are connections made and these are being pooled, the connections remain open to the mysql server. Now when you rebuild the application and so refreshing the dll's etc. the connections that are opened with the previous build will not get closed and the new build adds new connections. After a few builds you run out of connections to the database. The same thing happens with the dbexplorer it keeps adding connections for almost every operation you perform.

I'm using Visualstudio 2003 and MySqlDirect v2.80.

Hope this can be fixed in a new build. Or maybe i'm doing something wrong? but other connectors don't seem to have this problem but they are so slow :)

Richard.

Oleg
Devart Team

Post by Oleg » Thu 16 Jun 2005 09:15

Connection pool is automatically cleared after some time (about 4 minutes). It means if you did not leave open connections in your application they all will be closed soon. DbExplorer does not use connection pool at all so here's nothing common with the problem.

Post by Guest » Thu 16 Jun 2005 13:17

I don't think thats actually the case, i had a mysql server running with 20 connections max. After a few hours working and a few builds i got the 'too many connections error', so if they really would get cleared after a few minutes i would never have encountered that problem.

i tested it again just now and found that they do not get cleared, i waited for 15mins (why the wait?).

Post by Guest » Mon 20 Jun 2005 07:10

Any more info about the matter, please verify the problem its really there other connectors dont have problem. and i'm not leaving any connection open.

i really would like to use your connector.

Serious

Post by Serious » Tue 21 Jun 2005 07:22

Please check open connections with MySQL Administrator tool when you get 'too many connections error'.

If all conections are opened by MySQLDirect .NET, please send us small test project if possible to reproduce the problem; it is desirable to use 'test' schema objects, otherwise include definition of your own database objects. Do not use third party components.

Post by Guest » Wed 22 Jun 2005 06:21

I have emailed an test project to: support[a]crlab.com

Hope it helps.

Post by Guest » Wed 29 Jun 2005 05:49

Any news on the example?

Serious

Post by Serious » Wed 29 Jun 2005 06:52

We did not receive any mail from you.
Send your example one more time to MySQLDirect .NET support mail as described in 'readme' file.

Post by Guest » Tue 05 Jul 2005 06:43

Do you have any news for me, i send it to two e-mail adresses a few days back? both didn't bounce?