dotConnect 5.0.12.0 Express installation problem

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for MySQL
AG

dotConnect 5.0.12.0 Express installation problem

Post by AG » Tue 18 Nov 2008 18:36

Hi all.

Just installed dotConnect 5 Express edition. After installation dotConnect data provider is not registered in VS IDE environment, i.e. there are not records in windows registry about dotConnect, but machine.config contains such record. Now it's impossible to create new project datasource using dotConnect.

VS 2008 SP1 (professional)

Thanks

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Wed 19 Nov 2008 15:12

This is right. After installation of dotConnect for MySQL 5.00 Express there will be an entry in the machine.config file. But among the packages of Visual Studio 2008 there will be no entry about our provider. And the MySqlDataSource component in web applications will not be available. These are limitations of Express Edition. You should use another edition to get the design-time support. Please look through our editions matrix to choose one that will fit you best.

AG

Post by AG » Thu 20 Nov 2008 08:26

Hi Shalex,

I can't agree with you, because implementation of "ADO.NET core classes" should allow to create typed dataset using at least MSDataSetGenerator and work with it using dataadapters or tableadapters (like any other "standard" data provider). Lack of such functionality makes Express edition practically useless.
Could you tell me what edition provides mentioned functionality?

Thanks.

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Thu 20 Nov 2008 14:40

The implementation of ADO.NET core classes allows one to create a DataSet and work with it in runtime using DataAdapters. For more advanced opportunities of Devart.Data.MySql.MySqlDataSet component you can order the Professional or Developer edition of dotConnect for MySQL.