Entity Framework - connection dialog disappears

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for MySQL
ghs

Entity Framework - connection dialog disappears

Post by ghs » Tue 22 Jul 2008 08:49

Hi.

Following problem occurs on one of my machines.

I wanted to generate ADO.NET Entity Data Model. EDM Wizard asks me what should the model contains - empty model or generated from database. I choose Generate from database. On next page I'm supposed to choose connection. But when I click New Connection, whole wizard disappears without a word.

So finally I added MySQL connection to application in other way to avoid creating it via EDM Wizard, but it made things even worse. With any MySQL connection present in app, after I choose Generate from database and press Next >, Connection selection window doesn't appear (actually it appears for a tenth of a second and disappears).

On my home machine everything works fine. Booth machines are Vista x64, booth uses same MySQL servers and VS 2008 SP1 beta.

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Thu 24 Jul 2008 06:32

Hello, Ghs.

Please try to remove all connections from the app.config, Settings.settings and Server Explorer. This should help.

Regards, Andrey.

ghs

Post by ghs » Thu 24 Jul 2008 07:42

I already did that. As you can see below:

When I click New Connection... -- Wizard disappears, nothing else happens.

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Thu 24 Jul 2008 13:00

Hello, Ghs.

We couldn't reproduce the error at our side.
Try to get the callstack. To do this, perform the following steps:
- Open 2 instances of Visual Studio.
- In the first instance, open the project in which you wish to add the model.
- In the second instance, go to Tools->Attach to process...
- Select the first instance of Visual Studio(devenv.exe with opened project) in the process list.
- Go to Debug->Exceptions and check the Common Language Runtime Exceptions checkbox.
- Ensure that the Enable Just My Code checkbox (Tools->Options->Debugging) is unchecked.
- Perform the steps to get the error in the first instance of Visual Studio.
If the error was catched, please provide us the type of the exception and the call stack.

Regards, Andrey.

ghs

Post by ghs » Fri 25 Jul 2008 08:43

OK, when Choose Your Data Connection dialog start, following exception occurs 3 or 4 times:
(all data visible, stack trace is one line only)

Though Choose Your Data Connection dialog shows anyway. So I click New Connection... and following occurs:

And finally this shows up twice:

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Fri 25 Jul 2008 11:40

Please check that you have the latest version of MyDirect .NET.
Also try to reinstall the MyDirect .NET, the problem looks like one with installation trouble.
Please check if there are no ohter ADO.NET data providers installed on your machine.