Won't install in VS 2008

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for MySQL
mharward

Won't install in VS 2008

Post by mharward » Fri 16 May 2008 08:48

I can't get MyDirect to install correctly in VS 2008. I've tried on 2 machines, one running XP the other Vista. I have packages installed from RemObjects and DevExpress. I get the following error when I start VS:

---------------------------
Microsoft Visual Studio
Package Load Failure

Package 'CoreLab.MySql.Vs.MySqlDataProviderPackage' has failed to load properly ( GUID = {56ECB50E-9170-472E-8EED-67E016185FAB} ). Please contact package vendor for assistance. Application restart is recommended, due to possible environment corruption. Would you like to disable loading this package in the future? You may use 'devenv /resetskippkgs' to re-enable package loading.
Yes No

I'm just moving to VS from Delphi so I don't really even know where to start debugging this. I don't get any MyDirect controls in the toolbox. This is very frustrating.

It installed just fine in VS 2005 (on the same machine where it fails in 2008).

Please help.

Alexey.mdr

Post by Alexey.mdr » Fri 16 May 2008 11:56

There were some problems with previous builds.
They have already been fixed.
Could you please check that you have the
newest version of MyDirect .NET installed. If you do, specify your .NET
Framework version and MyDirect .NET version/edition.

mharward

Post by mharward » Fri 16 May 2008 21:57

Both computers installed with a fresh download from crlab. I still have the error. One is XP Pro SP 3, other is Vista Home Premium.

MyDirect Professional 4.50.27
.Net Frameworks installed:

DeveloperTools seem to install and run just fine.

Visual Studio 2008 Standard. I've now removed all additional components and plugins except DXperience. No love.

Alexey.mdr

Post by Alexey.mdr » Sat 17 May 2008 10:22

We cannot reproduce the error.
Try reinstalling the product.
Check that you are logged in under an OS account with administrator privileges.
Did it help?

mharward

Post by mharward » Sat 17 May 2008 10:28

I've uninstalled and re-installed multiple times. I am the admin on both computers. There are no errors during install. I've tried everything I can think of... several times.

Are there files I can check for or registry settings or something? There's got to be something other than "try it again" that I can do. I'm thinking that trying it for the 10th time isn't going to be any different than the other 9.

obviously if I can't get this working I'll need a refund... since I can't even test the product at this point to see if it's any better than the standard MySQL drivers.

Alexey.mdr

Post by Alexey.mdr » Mon 19 May 2008 09:17

The problem is reproduced now.
We are fixing the bug now.
This bug appears only if you are using RemObects with Visual Studio 2008.
The estimated time for the fix is not available now.
As alternative, you can use Visual Studio 2008 without RemObjects.

mharward

Post by mharward » Wed 04 Jun 2008 07:50

Am I correct that this problem continues in the latest release (4.70)?

I can't get it to work even after completely removing every single RemObjects assembly from my system. I'm down to my essential components... just DevExpress at this point. And if you can't co-exist with them then that's a deal-breaker.

Can you tell me what the specific conflict is so I can get this working on my machine. I can do this project without the RemObjects stuff... but that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Alexey.mdr

Post by Alexey.mdr » Wed 04 Jun 2008 10:57

There should be no problems at this point.
Try reinstalling the product.
If the problem is still there, please check the registry for the RemObjects entries.
What version of DevExpress do you use?
What exception message do you receive with the latest build of MyDirect .NET?

mharward

Post by mharward » Wed 04 Jun 2008 21:54

I'm using the most recent DXperience suite.

I removed every trace that I can find of RemObjects. All assemblies, files, references, and obvious registry entries. That's why I was wondering what the specific conflict was. I suppose there could be a more obscure or assembly out there that isn't a direct RemObjects reference.

Here's the error:

Microsoft Visual Studio
Package Load Failure

Package 'CoreLab.MySql.Vs.MySqlDataProviderPackage' has failed to load properly ( GUID = {56ECB50E-9170-472E-8EED-67E016185FAB} ). Please contact package vendor for assistance. Application restart is recommended, due to possible environment corruption. Would you like to disable loading this package in the future? You may use 'devenv /resetskippkgs' to re-enable package loading.
Yes No

Alexey.mdr

Post by Alexey.mdr » Fri 06 Jun 2008 07:39

Hello,

We are investigating this problem.
I will contact you in the nearest days.

Regards,
Alexey.

mharward

Post by mharward » Fri 27 Jun 2008 13:09

Has anything at all been resolved with this? Are you even looking at it anymore? If not please let me know so I can look for another solution.

AlexeyB

Post by AlexeyB » Tue 08 Jul 2008 09:04

The problem is reproduced with RemObjects Oxygene (formerly Chrome). This error is caused by the fact that Oxygene replaces the original devenv.exe.config file in Visual Studio IDE directory (...\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe.config). The Oxygene's devenv.exe.config does not contain some needed assembly definitions. You need to switch from Oxygen's to original devenv.exe.config. The "original devenv.exe.config" means the file after fresh VS 2008 install. Current Oxygene installer also could have created a copy of that file called devenv.exe(Pre-Oxygene).config so you can use this file as the

Ensure that your devenv.config contains the following assembly definitions:

mharward

Post by mharward » Wed 16 Jul 2008 16:56

That seems to have worked! Thank you for staying with this. Apparently the original config file is not restored even if I uninstall Oxygene. Now I can finally start converting over my project to your components. Thanks again!