OraDirect .NET 3.00 and Direct Mode

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
John

Post by John » Fri 18 Feb 2005 16:02

Hi;

I am interested in using OraDirect v3.00 with direct mode. I think there may be a chance that direct mode will help us avoid two intermittent exceptions (below) that I believe are a result of the oracle driver.

Exception( Resource lookup failed - infinite recursion detected. Resource name: Exception_WasThrown )

Exception( Can not find oci.dll )

Does anyone have experience with these issues? Can anyone comment on the stability of this Beta (we need to deploy by the end of next week)? From what I can tell the CoreLab beta releases are very close to production ready. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

John
Last edited by John on Wed 23 Feb 2005 14:21, edited 1 time in total.

Paul

Post by Paul » Wed 23 Feb 2005 13:41

Yes, Direct Mode will relieve you of "Cannot find oci.dll" exception. The possible reasons of this problem are the following. You must specify path to oci.dll in the first place in Windows environment PATH variable. Please check that oci.dll exists and application has rights to access directory. You can use OracleConnection.Home property to specify needed home if you have many Oracle clients.

Can you describe in details how to receive "Resource lookup failed - infinite recursion detected. Resource name: Exception_WasThrown" error?

John

Post by John » Wed 23 Feb 2005 14:20

Hi Paul;

It is encouraging to hear that direct mode may help. The strange thing about the oci.dll problem is that most of the time we can call our Oracle stored procedures successfully. The error only occurs only when we have approximately 30 or more threads calling stored procedure(s) at almost the same time. This leads me to believe that there is some problem with the way or OraDirect handles multi-threaded access to the oci.dll file/methods. It is also possible that there is some flaw in the oci.dll itself. I did double check the presence of the oci.dll and the directory (c:\oracle\ora90\bin) is first in the system PATH variable.

The resource lookup failed problem does not occur very frequently. It also does not seem to be produced by any specific situation so I do not know how to reproduce the problem. You can see my previous post to this forum "Resource lookup failed - infinite recursion detected" for more details. Oleg also suggested checking the PATH variable but that was not the problem.

Thanks!

John

Note our application is running on a dedicated HP server with duel 3GHz Xeon processors and 2GB of main memory with Windows Server 2003.

John

Post by John » Wed 02 Mar 2005 18:41

Note I have the Oracle 9 client installed, the oci.dll version is 9.0.1.1.1. Could some of these problems be a result of the "out-dated" oci.dll?

Thanks,

John

Paul

Post by Paul » Wed 09 Mar 2005 15:45

As I can see "Resource lookup failed - infinite recursion detected" is an internal error that is raised when .Net Framework cannot handle some exception.
Oci.dll can be a cause of this error. Can you send us small demo project to demonstrate the problem and include script to create server objects.

John

Resource lookup failed - infinite recursion detected

Post by John » Thu 10 Mar 2005 19:46

This error is infrequent and we have no way to reproduce it so I cannot send you a helpful demo project.