License file issues

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
jlholt

License file issues

Post by jlholt » Thu 27 Jul 2006 18:01

I'm factoring all of my RDBMS code so that, in the future, when I upgrade CoreLab.Oracle from, say, 3.50 to 3.XX I have to change only one project; not 30 projects. This new project I'm calling RDBMS.

So far, things are looking pretty good except for one thing: in all the 30 projects that use RDBMS I have to add a license file. I would have expected to need a license file only in the RDBMS project.

Can someone validate this for me? I want to make sure I'm not doing something stupid.

If I'm correct, then I want to log a bug.

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Fri 28 Jul 2006 06:54

Assuming that RDBMS is a dll which uses OraDirect .NET include license.licx file into it. Near license.licx file place license.config file, which would contain a list of all your *.exe files (., each name starts from new line). After compilation you'll get RDBMS stuck to your *.exe files. For more information read documentation.

Poonam

Post by Poonam » Mon 31 Jul 2006 19:23

I am creating a class library file for connectivity to the Oracle. I have added the "licenses.licx" file to the project and its Build Action as embedded resource. I also have "licenses.config" file with "classlibraryName.dll" text in it. Both these file are located within the project folder. I have added "CoreLab.Oracle" as a project reference.

After compliing the ...\TestOracle\obj\Debug\TestOracle.dll.licenses file is created. No resource file is created, which is usually created when a drop a oradirect component on a form. But there are no form in this case as I am developing a dll file.

I get the following error message: An unhandled exception of type 'CoreLab.Oracle.OracleException' occurred in DbTable.exe

Additional information: License not valid. Please view "Licensing" topic in OraDirect .NET documentation for details or contact Core Lab technical support

PLEASE advise how to create a library file using CoreLab.Oracle.dll in VS 2003. Also, confirm if a resource file "TestOracle.dll.licenses.resource" should be created after compilation of the dll file. If yes how?

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Tue 01 Aug 2006 06:33

The previous post states:
Near license.licx file place license.config file, which would contain a list of all your *.exe files (., each name starts from new line).
So you should place your .exe file name into licenses.config file, but not "classlibraryName.dll".

jlholt

Post by jlholt » Fri 11 Aug 2006 15:23

Sorry that it took so long for me to get back to this thread.

I'm very dissappointed in your suggestion. It is no better than having to place a license file in every project that uses the new class library (i.e., RDBMS.dll).

So far, the two solutions to this issue don't scale with respect to the number of projects that use this class library.

You are either going to have to fix this in a scalable manner or I'm going to go elsewhere for my Oracle .NET solution.

Paul

Post by Paul » Tue 15 Aug 2006 08:11

What is type of your library? Which way do you distribute it with many applications?