OraDirect - Port range limited?

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
Daniel Geh

OraDirect - Port range limited?

Post by Daniel Geh » Thu 01 Jun 2006 07:28

Hi,

i just tried the latest version of OraDirect.NET trying to figure out how to use the ASP.NET data providers. I didn't manage to get it working: as soon as I tried to register any of the providers in the Web.config-file (as described in the documentation) the ASP.NET Configuration interface of the IIS stoped working -> Error on the "provider configuration"-page.

I then tried to validate if the connection to the Database is working correctly. I Tried the VS2005-Wizard together with the OraDirect.NET Data Provider and found a (maybe the) problem:

Our Database uses port 20004, the wizard only accepts values <= 10000.
Therfore the connection does not work.

Is this a bug in the Wizard or is OraDirect .NET currently limited to ports <= 10000 (why?).

Thanks in advance
Daniel Geh

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Thu 01 Jun 2006 12:27

Error on the "provider configuration"-page.
Please specify the error.
I Tried the VS2005-Wizard together with the OraDirect.NET
What wizard are you talking about?

Daniel Geh

Post by Daniel Geh » Thu 01 Jun 2006 12:54

Hi,
Please specify the error.
I would have specified the error, but there is no Info available from the IIS Web Configuration interface (the one from the VS2005 build-in iis) apart from "An error was encountered. Please return to the previous page and try again."
What wizard are you talking about?
GridView->Choose Data Source->New Data Source->Database->New Connection->DataSource: "OraDirect .NET Data Provider"

"Test Connection" works with Direct=false, but I'm still getting above error in the "ASP.NET Configuration-"interface when using Direct=false ind Web.config.

I don't see any problems in Web.config:

Code: Select all

Any ideas what I did wrong?

Thanks
Daniel Geh

Daniel Geh

solved!

Post by Daniel Geh » Thu 01 Jun 2006 13:31

Hi again,

I found out that trying to access the "security"-page in the ASP.NET Configuration gave me some further information. I'm currently not sure, why it didn't work, but I got the "provider configuration"-page working again by using a different name for my providers.

Now
-> Select a single provider for all site management data
lists does still not show these Providers, but I figured, that I'm able to use Membership- and Role-provider by using
-> Select a different provider for each feature (advanced).

Still, the problem with the Direct-mode and Ports above 10000 still exists, though that may be a MS-Problem.

Thanks
Daniel Geh

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Fri 02 Jun 2006 12:37

Please send us your test project to reproduce the problem; include definition of your own database objects. Do not use third party components.