.NET Core 2.0 / EF Core 2.0 support

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
mathieu.rene

.NET Core 2.0 / EF Core 2.0 support

Post by mathieu.rene » Tue 10 Oct 2017 13:55

Hello,
i want to know your progression for .NET Core 2.0 / EF Core 2.0 support.
Do you know the release date ?
thank's

Shalex
Site Admin

Re: .NET Core 2.0 / EF Core 2.0 support

Post by Shalex » Tue 10 Oct 2017 15:27

An approximate timeframe for the .NET Core 2.0 / EF Core 2.0 support is the end of next week. We will notify you when the corresponding version of dotConnect for Oracle is available for download.

thewilsons13

Post by thewilsons13 » Thu 19 Oct 2017 18:36

I tried to download and use the latest version, and it still seems to be dependent on the full framework (not directly compatible with .NET Core). I referenced it from a .NET Core 2.0 application, and when I tried to create a new OracleConnection, it threw the below exception which looks like a dependency on .NET Framework 4.0. Am I doing something wrong?

System.TypeLoadException occurred
HResult=0x80131522
Message=Could not load type 'System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterType' from assembly 'System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'.
Source=<Cannot evaluate the exception source>
StackTrace:
at Devart.Common.DbConnectionPoolGroup.a(v A_0)
at Devart.Common.DbConnectionFactory.a(String A_0, v& A_1)
at Devart.Common.DbConnectionBase.set_ConnectionString(String value)
at MPI.OracleUtilities.ConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(ILdapOraResolver ldapOraResolver, String dbAlias, String dbUser, String dbPassword, String appName) in C:\sc\vsts-mpi\OracleClientUtilities\OracleUtilities\ConnectionFactory.cs:line 51
at Test.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\sc\vsts-mpi\OracleClientUtilities\Test\Program.cs:line 15

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Fri 20 Oct 2017 10:49

We are working on the .NET Core 2.0 / EF Core 2.0 support. As soon as it is ready-to-use, we will notify you.

thewilsons13

Post by thewilsons13 » Sun 22 Oct 2017 23:13

I just realized that using the dotConnect for Oracle installer may not be the correct way to get it to work with .NET Core. Do I need to use the NuGet packages if I want the versions that work with .NET Core?

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Mon 23 Oct 2017 17:16

thewilsons13 wrote:Do I need to use the NuGet packages if I want the versions that work with .NET Core?
Yes, you do. Refer to viewtopic.php?t=35459#p123288.

thewilsons13

Post by thewilsons13 » Tue 24 Oct 2017 21:10

Thank you for the link, it was very helpful. We use dotConnect for Oracle in large part because it allows us to circumvent the native Oracle Client by using a Direct connection, the instructions for which are https://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracl ... ction.html.

Your documentation for licensing for .NET Core says to add the License Key to the connection string https://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracl ... ndard.html

...but the direct connect documentation linked earlier, says to set the individual properties. So, should I go through and set all the individual properties, then manually go back and append the key to the connection string like the below? While I could probably play around and get it to work, I'd like to hear your recommendation.

Code: Select all

c.ConnectionString += "License Key=KEYGOESHERE;";
Lastly, does our license key continue to be valid even as new NuGet Packages come out? While not impossible to manage, I'm hoping I don't have to mess with it.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Thu 26 Oct 2017 13:39

thewilsons13 wrote:

Code: Select all

c.ConnectionString += "License Key=KEYGOESHERE;";
That is a correct way.
thewilsons13 wrote:does our license key continue to be valid even as new NuGet Packages come out? While not impossible to manage, I'm hoping I don't have to mess with it.
The key is valid for all versions released within 1 year after the purchase. When 1 year is over, EITHER use the version your key is valid with OR renew your key to be able to use the newest versions.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Mon 30 Oct 2017 20:17

.NET Core 2.0 and EF Core 2.0 are supported: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36128.

Be aware that starting from Entity Framework Core 2.0 the Scaffold-DbContext functionality (Devart.Data.Oracle.EFCore.Design.dll) is included in the Devart.Data.Oracle.EFCore package.

mchender

Post by mchender » Thu 15 Feb 2018 19:46

Shalex wrote:The key is valid for all versions released within 1 year after the purchase. When 1 year is over, EITHER use the version your key is valid with OR renew your key to be able to use the newest versions.
So if I deploy an application using a working key today and I never modify that key and I never upgrade to the latest NuGet package it will continue to function in production forever correct?

Would it break if I don't upgrade to the latest NuGet package but I do update the connection string with a new activation key? We have servers with several applications running on them all with their own release schedule. If we were to always put our latest key under C:\ProgramData\Devart\dotConnect\License would it break applications using earlier versions of the NuGet packages?

Is it still possible to load the key from C:\ProgramData\Devart\dotConnect\License with a valid non-trial license? The documentation says "You must add this license key to the License Key connection string parameter." in the Purchased dotConnect for Oracle Licensing section. Since we have multiple applications running on our servers with their own release schedule it would be nice if we could centrally manage that license key rather than every application needing to include it in the configuration used to create their connection string.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Fri 16 Feb 2018 12:39

mchender wrote:So if I deploy an application using a working key today and I never modify that key and I never upgrade to the latest NuGet package it will continue to function in production forever correct?
Correct.
mchender wrote:Would it break if I don't upgrade to the latest NuGet package but I do update the connection string with a new activation key?
No, it wouldn't break. The new key works with previous provider versions.
mchender wrote:We have servers with several applications running on them all with their own release schedule. If we were to always put our latest key under C:\ProgramData\Devart\dotConnect\License would it break applications using earlier versions of the NuGet packages?

Is it still possible to load the key from C:\ProgramData\Devart\dotConnect\License with a valid non-trial license? The documentation says "You must add this license key to the License Key connection string parameter." in the Purchased dotConnect for Oracle Licensing section. Since we have multiple applications running on our servers with their own release schedule it would be nice if we could centrally manage that license key rather than every application needing to include it in the configuration used to create their connection string.
The license gives you a special License Key to use it via connection string. The key from C:\ProgramData\Devart\dotConnect\License is not used in this case (it is only for a trial purpose). Refer to http://devart.com/dotconnect/oracle/doc ... ndard.html.