Connecting without a SID blocked in wizard

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
ccwilson

Connecting without a SID blocked in wizard

Post by ccwilson » Wed 20 Apr 2016 13:12

I'm trying to set up a direct connection using a ServiceName, without a SID. The wizard UI disallows advancing to the next step unless something is entered in the SID box when the direct checkbox is checked. This seems like a bug.

I can successfully enter the connection and test it in the Advanced UI, but when I close the advanced ui, it clears the direct flag and disables the NEXT button in the wizard. SID should not be a required field

Please fix this.

ccwilson

Re: Connecting without a SID blocked in wizard

Post by ccwilson » Wed 20 Apr 2016 13:27

Forgot to add - Visual Studio 2015, dotConnect 8.5.602

When I open the Advanced Connection tab, I'm getting a error message box
Keyword not supported: 'Use Performance Monitor'

This message box is UNDER the visual studio UI, and when the wizards setup Data connection properties modal window is open and in this state, the box cannot be switched to which puts visual studio into an unrecoverable state. Clearly this is a totally untested configuration.

ccwilson

Post by ccwilson » Wed 20 Apr 2016 13:36

I figured out how to work around this bug.

In the Advanced entry, enter the data connection info, test it, then set Direct to false and close the advanced window. Now click the direct checkbox and the NEXT button stays activated.

Pinturiccio
Devart Team

Post by Pinturiccio » Fri 22 Apr 2016 09:30

ccwilson wrote:The wizard UI disallows advancing to the next step unless something is entered in the SID box when the direct checkbox is checked. This seems like a bug.
We could not reproduce the issue. We use Visual Studio 2015 and dotConnect for Oracle 8.5.602 Professional edition. When we close "Advanced Properties" the Direct check box is not cleared and the 'Next' button does not become disabled.
ccwilson wrote:When I open the Advanced Connection tab, I'm getting a error message box
Keyword not supported: 'Use Performance Monitor'
We could not reproduce this issue either. Please provide us the following information:
1. The Visual Studio version and edition as well as the Service Pack version;
2. The steps you perform when opening the connection editor. Which project do you use? How exactly do you open the connection editor (which menu commands do you use, etc.)?