a question about 'Min Pool Size' for connection string

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
zhuqijun

a question about 'Min Pool Size' for connection string

Post by zhuqijun » Fri 25 Mar 2016 02:47

Hello Support,

We are using dotConnect to connect to Oracle database.

Our connection string is like below:

Code: Select all

connection timeout=30;Connection Lifetime=15;min pool size=0;max pool size=100;user id=abc;password=xxx;server=dev;Unicode=true;
We are using 20 connections at the peak (observed at the Oracle server side), and my expectation is that after we close all the connection after some time (one night), all the connection (session) are closed. but we observed from the Oracle server side there are still 10 session are still open. My question is when will all the connection be closed?

Shalex
Site Admin

Re: a question about 'Min Pool Size' for connection string

Post by Shalex » Fri 25 Mar 2016 11:03

By design, pool is automatically reduced to the number of connections specified in Min Pool Size if a connection is idle for some time (it is 5 minutes in my test) or closed by Oracle Server.
zhuqijun wrote:We are using 20 connections at the peak (observed at the Oracle server side), and my expectation is that after we close all the connection after some time (one night), all the connection (session) are closed. but we observed from the Oracle server side there are still 10 session are still open. My question is when will all the connection be closed?
We cannot reproduce the issue with the newest (8.5.616) build of dotConnect for Oracle.
1. Please upgrade to v8.5.616. Does this fix the problem in your environment?

2. Make sure that undeleted sessions at server side were actually idle during idle time of your application (e.g.: one night). For this, check WAIT_TIME(=0) and SECONDS_IN_WAIT values for the Devart connections in the V$SESSION view: https://docs.oracle.com/cloud/latest/db ... n30223.htm.

3. Does the issue persist for the Direct Mode as well (for the test purposes, to avoid Oracle Client issue if any)?

As a workaround, you can clear the pool(s) manually: