Devart.Data Unable to find and remove from the GAC.

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
amyaday

Devart.Data Unable to find and remove from the GAC.

Post by amyaday » Mon 15 Feb 2016 19:10

Hello,

I uninstalled an older version and I am trying to reinstall another version that I am licensed with. Each time I attempt to install the new version, I receive - "Devart.Data assembly version 5.0.1335.0 is found in Global Assembly Cache.". This assembly is not in the GAC. I have done a search on my pc as well as verified in the gacutil and no match found. Please advise.

Pinturiccio
Devart Team

Re: Devart.Data Unable to find and remove from the GAC.

Post by Pinturiccio » Tue 16 Feb 2016 13:38

The reason of the issue is that gacutil left the empty folder in the \GAC_MSIL\ after uninstalling the previous version of a dotConnect provider.

You can use any file manager other than Explorer (e.g.: Total Commander) in order to navigate to C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\ and remove the Devart.Data folder.

If you don't have any file manager other than Explorer, then you can use Explorer with the GAC shell extension turned off. The GAC shell extension connects to Explorer using the Desktop.ini file located in the assembly folder. Rename the Desktop.ini file to display the content of the assembly folder like content of any other folder. For this, run the following three commands in Command Prompt:
1. Go to the GAC folder:
cd %windir%\assembly
2. Remove the system and hidden attributes for the Desktop.ini file:
attrib –s –h desktop.ini
3. Rename the file to disable the shell extension
ren Desktop.ini Desktop.ini.disabled

After this, use Explorer to go to the %windir%\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Devart.Data\ folder and delete the Devart.Data folder.

Finally, rename the Desktop.ini.disabled file back to Desktop.ini.