Determining dependencies for referenced assemblies

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
inspectorDev

Determining dependencies for referenced assemblies

Post by inspectorDev » Fri 05 Feb 2016 15:55

Hello - I have referenced the following assemblies in my .NET console application to perform data access:
1. Devart.Data.Oracle.dll
2. Devart.Data.dll

I am deploying my application to a fresh dev server with nothing on it, and I need to gather environmental requirements for my application. I prefer to have all my assemblies in my bin/release folder and not use the GAC.
1. So my question is: will I be ok if I copy just these two dlls, or do these two dlls have other dependencies that I need to copy as well? If so, which ones?

Note - my local dev machine has several devart assemblies in the GAC. I don't know how devart was installed. I inherited this machine from a dev now gone. But again, I only want what is required and I want those required assemblies in my bin/release folder and not in GAC.

Here are the devart assemblies in my local dev's GAC:
Devart.Data
Devart.Data.Design
Devart.Data.Linq
Devart.Data.Linq.Web
Devart.Data.Linq.Web.DynamicData
Devart.Data.Oracle
Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity
Devart.Data.Oracle.Linq
Devart.Data.Oracle.ReportingServices
Devart.Data.Oracle.ReportingServices
Devart.Data.Oracle.Web
Devart.SSIS.Oracle

Last question -
2. Typically how does Devart get installed on a dev's machine?

Shalex
Site Admin

Re: Determining dependencies for referenced assemblies

Post by Shalex » Fri 05 Feb 2016 17:43

inspectorDev wrote:1. So my question is: will I be ok if I copy just these two dlls, or do these two dlls have other dependencies that I need to copy as well? If so, which ones?
1.1. The list of Devart.* assemblies depends on the functionality of dotConnect for Oracle you use. For more information, refer to http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle ... yment.html.
1.2. Additionally, you should add the license resource to your application: https://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracl ... nsing.html. dotConnect for Oracle includes License Wizard (Tools > Oracle > Oracle Information), in most cases its usage is enough to configure .NET component licensing.
inspectorDev wrote:2. Typically how does Devart get installed on a dev's machine?
2. You mean the developement workstation, don't you? In this case you should run installation of the licensed version of dotConnect for Oracle.

inspectorDev

Post by inspectorDev » Mon 08 Feb 2016 16:25

Actually, I mean both a dev's machine and a new test/production server. How do we install the devart libraries on a new server to support applications that will be using those dlls? Is there a typical install application or what? It seems nowadays everyone uses lots of 3rd party stuff, so there must be an accepted/standard way to get all these libraries on a production machine's GAC.

Thanks,

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Mon 08 Feb 2016 19:20