How to Install Oracle without installing Oracle Client?

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
AntonyGumi

How to Install Oracle without installing Oracle Client?

Post by AntonyGumi » Tue 07 Mar 2006 09:57

Hi there:)
I'd like to know how to install Oracle Database without installing its Oracle Client but will still be able to have access to the oracle database. Could anyone help me on this? :roll:
Moreover, I have searched some topics on the internet and found a software called Instant Client. Could u please tell what other components are needed in order not to install Oracle Client?
Thanks for your help
With Regards,
Antony :D

Paul

Post by Paul » Tue 07 Mar 2006 13:37

In Direct mode OraDirect .NET Data Provider talks to Oracle server in person, without calling any third party libraries. It allows your application to work with Oracle directly through TCP/IP protocol without involving Oracle client software.

IIS

Post by Guest » Wed 08 Mar 2006 03:07

Hi.Thanks for the answer. :D
I still have few more questions. What if I use IIS? Will there be any difference? What components should I install to make my database (Oracle) and web server(IIS) runs?
p.s. I dont want to install Oracle Client
Thanks
Antony :)

Paul

Post by Paul » Thu 09 Mar 2006 16:21

You can set Direct=true in OracleConnection.ConnectionString and work without Oracle client installed.

AntonyGumi

Hi there

Post by AntonyGumi » Tue 04 Apr 2006 10:00

Thanks again for the reply.
Now I have a different case but still about Oracle Client.
How to access to Oracle Server without installing Oracle Client software?
What components should I install, please specify.
I've tried Instant Client but it didn't work :cry:
Please reply ASAP.
Thank you :D

Paul

Post by Paul » Wed 05 Apr 2006 10:45

OraDirect .NET can work with standard Oracle client, Oracle Instant client and without any client at all. It works without problems with web applications running on IIS. However, it may be required to set access permissions properly on the web server.

The only product you have to install on client side to develop applications is OraDirect .NET; to deploy application written with OraDirect .NET you have to include CoreLab.Oracle.dll file in the installation.
To connect to Oracle server directly you can set Direct=true in OracleConnection.ConnectionString as indicated above, for example:
OracleConnection.ConnectionString = "Direct=true;Sid=...;Server=...".

To connect to server through Instant Client you have to specify path to oci.dll in Windows environment PATH variable. In OracleConnection.Server property (or Server part of connection string) specify connection parameters as follows:
(DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = SERVER)(PORT = 1521))) (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = ORCL)))
Another way to provide this information to OraDirect .NET is to put TNSNAMES.ORA file to the current directory for your application.

MentorUser

Problem when using Direct in connection string

Post by MentorUser » Mon 03 Jul 2006 17:34

Hi,

I set the 'Direct' property to true in my connection string. I got the following error message

ORA-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist

What am I missing? I tried putting the TNSNAMES.ORA in the same folder as the application without any luck. Any ideas?

Thanks

Louis

Paul

Post by Paul » Tue 04 Jul 2006 06:47

Please check that the host name or IP address is specified in Server parameter. Please see "Using Direct Mode" topic in OraDirect .NET documentation for more details.

athony.meehan

PATH requirement

Post by athony.meehan » Fri 18 Aug 2006 10:26

Paul wrote: To connect to server through Instant Client you have to specify path to oci.dll in Windows environment PATH variable.
Is there any way to get around this requirement? We would really like xcopy deployment for our desktop app, so we would like to be able to put oci.dll in the same directory as the application.

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Tue 22 Aug 2006 08:44

From the Installation Instructions of Instant Client (http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/o ... index.html):
Unzip the packages into a single directory such as "instantclient". Set the library loading path in your environment to that directory. On Windows, PATH should be used.
So we cannot give you advices on working around it because this exceeds goals of our support.

RMata

Post by RMata » Fri 22 Dec 2006 19:22

The Direct Mode can be used in a Connection String in a Pocket PC application?

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Mon 25 Dec 2006 15:47

The only mode which can be used in a Pocket PC application is direct mode.