In Visual Studio 2012 I Cannot set a breakpoint in an Oracle Package Function

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
clive.gregory

In Visual Studio 2012 I Cannot set a breakpoint in an Oracle Package Function

Post by clive.gregory » Thu 02 Apr 2015 15:24

In Visual Studio 2012 I cannot set a breakpoint in an Oracle PL/SQL Package Function.
This problem is seen by myself and other developers in our team.
The setting of breakpoints works fine immediately after installing a new Oracle database (11g or 12c) with ODAC. However after modifying the package function and recompiling, it then becomes impossible to set a breakpoint in the package using "Oracle Application Debugging" in Visual Studio.

The reason I am raising this with Devart is that it IS possible to set breakpoints in any package that does NOT use Devart to pass DataTables as arguments to the package function.
i.e. If there are one or more functions or procedures that use Devart to pass a datatable to an Oracle user defined table type anywhere in the package, then it is NOT possible to set a breakpoint anywhere in the package! As I said, even this works initially, until the package is recompiled in the database due to a code change.

If I unistall and re-install Devart, Oracle Odac and Oracle Developer Tools then it works again for a while.

Pinturiccio
Devart Team

Re: In Visual Studio 2012 I Cannot set a breakpoint in an Oracle Package Function

Post by Pinturiccio » Mon 06 Apr 2015 12:15

Oracle Developer Tools are created by Oracle, and they work only with the ODP.NET provider. We cannot change Oracle Developer Tools behavior because this is not a Devart product.

We offer dbForge Fusion for Oracle with the PL/SQL debugger feature for debugging PL/SQL code. For more information, please refer to http://www.devart.com/dbforge/oracle/fusion/. dbForge Fusion for Oracle can be purchased separately or with dotConnect for Oracle Developer edition. For more information, please refer to http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle/editions.html.