Multiple versions of dotConnect provider

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
Goransi

Multiple versions of dotConnect provider

Post by Goransi » Fri 27 Mar 2015 13:17

Is it possible to have multiple versions of dotConnect provider installed and in use on the same machine?

My scenario is the following. While we're developing the application using a fixed stable version I'm tasked with testing new dotConnect releases. With recent upgrade I had to delete previous version dotConnect and now I'm getting various issues trying to build/run/test the application on my machine.

The version the application uses and references is 8.3.161.0, while I'm testing 8.4.352.0.

Symptoms include:
- creating an instance of dotConnect provider fails, as it does not support EF6. (I belive this is caused by the mismatch between the version specified in the app.config (8.3.161.6) and the installed version which means the config registration is ignored and 8.4.352.0 version is used.
- various invalid casts reported (8.4.352.0 cannot be cast to 8.4.352.6).

Shalex
Site Admin

Re: Multiple versions of dotConnect provider

Post by Shalex » Fri 27 Mar 2015 17:59

Goransi wrote:Is it possible to have multiple versions of dotConnect provider installed and in use on the same machine?
Yes, it is possible: http://forums.devart.com/viewtopic.php?t=20149.
Goransi wrote:- creating an instance of dotConnect provider fails, as it does not support EF6. (I belive this is caused by the mismatch between the version specified in the app.config (8.3.161.6) and the installed version which means the config registration is ignored and 8.4.352.0 version is used.
You should remove policy.*.Devart.* files from GAC to avoid redirects.
Goransi wrote:- various invalid casts reported (8.4.352.0 cannot be cast to 8.4.352.6).
Run your application in the debug mode and navigate to Debug > Windows > Modules and make sure that the Devart.* assemblies of only referenced versions are loaded in the process of your application.