timeout while using devart in multithreading

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
manibhatti

timeout while using devart in multithreading

Post by manibhatti » Mon 30 Jun 2014 16:48

Hi,

I am connecting to several Oracle databases in parallel with dotConnect for Oracle using multithreading in C#. Each thread makes a separate Oracle connection. The problem is that when I have more than 15 threads (each one having it's own connection) I get error "server did not respond within the specified timeout interval devart threads". The error doesn't arise when I am using 4 threads or making 4 simultaneous connection using dotConnect for Oracle. Please let me know if dotConnect for Oracle has some limitation while using multithreading. If not please help me how can I get rid of this error and make connection in several threads successfully. Thanks very much.

Regards
Mani

Pinturiccio
Devart Team

Re: timeout while using devart in multithreading

Post by Pinturiccio » Wed 02 Jul 2014 14:21

manibhatti wrote:Please let me know if dotConnect for Oracle has some limitation while using multithreading.
dotConnect for Oracle does not have limitation on opening connection in multithreading. The only limitation dotConnect for Oracleis that dotConnect for Oracle is not thread safe. If you want to use a multithreaded application, you need to create an OracleConnection instance for each thread.

Probably you have reached some Oracle server limitation. For example this can be the limit of concurrent sessions. You can check it with the following commands:
The maximal number of sessions:

Code: Select all

SELECT name, value 
  FROM v$parameter
 WHERE name = 'sessions'
Current number of active sessions:

Code: Select all

SELECT COUNT(*)
  FROM v$session
Another possible reason is that a session cannot be established in a time, specified in the ConnectionTimeout property. By default ConnectionTimeout is set to 15 seconds. We recommend you to increase the value of this property or the 'Connection Timeout' connection string parameter or set it to 0. A value of 0 indicates no limit. For more information, please refer to http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle ... meout.html