Several licenses on the build machine

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
pavel.baravik

Several licenses on the build machine

Post by pavel.baravik » Wed 25 Jun 2014 15:08

Hello,

please advise: several projects that use different (say, 8.x and 6.x) versions of Devart dotConnect for Oracle shall be built on the same machine.
As far as I see, the dotConnect installer does not allow having more than one version side-by-side. Accordingly, there is only one license available at a time.

Is there a way to have more than one license at the machine in order to let lc.exe embed a correct license?

Thanks

Pinturiccio
Devart Team

Re: Several licenses on the build machine

Post by Pinturiccio » Fri 27 Jun 2014 10:30

You can use one of the following two options:
I. You can install several versions of dotConnect for Oracle on your build server:
1. using "Minimal installation" for several versions of dotConnect for Oracle on your build server;
2. delete the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Devart\Installed Products\dotConnect\Net2\Oracle key for x86 operating system and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Devart\Installed Products\dotConnect\Net2\Oracle key for x64 operating system before each new provider installation;
3. be aware that each dotConnect for Oracle installation package places the policy.*.Devart.* files to GAC. If you use several versions of our provider, you should remove these policy files from your GAC.

II. Don't install any versions of dotConnect for Oracle on your build server. In such case you need to compile a license resource for each application using dotConnect for Oracle. It can be done in the following way:

Generate the license resource file using the following command line:
"%Compiler Path%\lc.exe /target:MyApplication.exe /complist:licenses.licx /i:"%Assembly Path%\Devart.Data.Oracle.dll"
Where:

- %Compiler Path% is the path to the appropriate lc.exe file (for example, C:\Program Files\Microsoft.NET\SDK\v2.0\Bin);
- MyApplication.exe is the name of your target executable file;
licenses.licx is your licenses.licx file, placed to the same folder as lc.exe, or specify the full path to the licenses.licx file;
- %Assembly Path% is the Devart.Data.Oracle.dll assembly location.

2. The License compiler will generate the 'MyApplication.exe.licenses' resource file;
3. Add this file to your project as an embedded resource.

After this, the license resource will be embedded to your project after each build even if dotConnect for Oracle is not installed. For more information, please refer to http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle ... ml#compile

Please notify us about the results.

pavel.baravik

Re: Several licenses on the build machine

Post by pavel.baravik » Mon 30 Jun 2014 12:25

Thank you very much, I'll try proposed solutions soon. They seem to be exactly what is needed.