Update Entity Model from DB not working (dCO 8.2.80, VS2K13, EF6)

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
kinl99

Update Entity Model from DB not working (dCO 8.2.80, VS2K13, EF6)

Post by kinl99 » Fri 24 Jan 2014 08:28

Hi,

I'm getting the following exception when I try to UPDATE an existing model from the Database using des VS-EF-Designer Dialog. If I recreate the model everything works as expected, but this is hardly an acceptable workaround. Any ideas to make updating EF Models work?

-Regards kinl99

Unable to generate the model because of the following exception: 'System.Data.Entity.Core.EntityCommandExecutionException: An error occurred while executing the command definition. See the inner exception for details. ---> System.Data.Entity.Core.MetadataException: Schema specified is not valid. Errors:
(7,8) : error 0152: No Entity Framework provider found for the ADO.NET provider with invariant name 'Devart.Data.Oracle'. Make sure the provider is registered in the 'entityFramework' section of the application config file. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=260882 for more information.

Shalex
Site Admin

Re: Update Entity Model from DB not working (dCO 8.2.80, VS2K13, EF6)

Post by Shalex » Tue 28 Jan 2014 11:55

kinl99 wrote:If I recreate the model everything works as expected
This means that registration of Devart.Data.Oracle in *.config file of your application is correct.
kinl99 wrote:I'm getting the following exception when I try to UPDATE an existing model from the Database using des VS-EF-Designer Dialog.
Looks like you have encountered a bug with the Update Model From Database functionality of EDM Wizard/Designer. Please contact the Microsoft support team.

As a workaround, please use Entity Developer (the Devart Entity Model item, *.edml) instead of EDM Wizard/Designer (the ADO.NET Entity Data Model item, *.edmx): http://www.devart.com/entitydeveloper/ed-vs-edm.html.

Shalex
Site Admin

Re: Update Entity Model from DB not working (dCO 8.2.80, VS2K13, EF6)

Post by Shalex » Wed 26 Mar 2014 15:35

The bug with the Update Model From Database wizard in Entity Framework 6 Tools for Visual Studio 2012 and Visual Studio 2013 is fixed in the current build of dotConnect for Oracle.