dotConnect for Oracle under mod_mono

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
furryfuttock

dotConnect for Oracle under mod_mono

Post by furryfuttock » Tue 07 Jan 2014 19:53

Hi,

I am evaluating using dotConnect to replace the standard System.Data.OracleClient assembly that comes with mono as I am repeatedly getting the "Could not allocate new OCI Handle of type Statement" exception. Unfortunately I can't get it to work. I am developing using mono-develop on Debian Wheezy and running under Apache2/mod_mono.

Whenever I try to access the Devart assembly I get a registry access error. I found a reference that said this was due to a licensing problem so I followed the instructions and created the license file on Linux and also on Windows, with no difference whatsoever.

Any suggestions as to what to try next?

Regards.

Shalex
Site Admin

Re: dotConnect for Oracle under mod_mono

Post by Shalex » Wed 08 Jan 2014 10:46

1. dotConnect for Oracle supports Mono only in the Direct mode: http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle ... tmode.html. The Direct mode is not supported in the Express edition of dotConnect for Oracle. For more information, please refer to http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle/editions.html.

2. Our provider can't be installed on Linux. You should install dotConnect for Oracle on a computer with a Windows OS and then copy the required Devart.* assemblies (Devart.Data.dll, Devart.Data.Oracle.dll, etc) to OS with Mono.

3. When you create an application that uses Devart.* assemblies, it must have a specially formed embedded license resource. It is checked when a connection is opened. As you can't install dotConnect for Oracle on Linux, you will have to compile the license resource manually on a Windows computer, and then copy it to Mono computer and attach it to your project as an Embedded Resource.

If this information doesn't help, please specify the exact text of the error and its call stack.

furryfuttock

Post by furryfuttock » Thu 09 Jan 2014 23:47

Thanks for the response. With respect your points (not in order)

2.- I installed on Windows and then copied the assemblies to the Linux machine.

3.- I created the license file almost as per instructions. Seeing as this is an ASP.NET application I don't have an executable, I have a dll (in my case monitor.dll), so I generated monitor.dll.licenses. I tried using the version of lc that comes with mono and also the version that comes with .Net on Windows.

1.- I cannot set the Direct property for the OracleConnectStringBuilder, this property does not exist.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Fri 10 Jan 2014 10:12

furryfuttock wrote:I cannot set the Direct property for the OracleConnectStringBuilder, this property does not exist.
This property is not available in the Express and Mobile editions of dotConnect for Oracle. Which edition of dotConnect for Oracle are you working with?