Can dotConnect be used with ormLite or Simple.Data without installing Oracle client?

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
object

Can dotConnect be used with ormLite or Simple.Data without installing Oracle client?

Post by object » Mon 11 Nov 2013 12:06

Hello,

We are using dotConnect Entity Framework provider for Oracle, and now in addition to that we need to manage a small database where use of Entity Framework is an overkill. What we have in mind is to use one of so called microORMs, such Simple.Data or ServiceStack OrmLite. I tried to compile a small test with OrmLite, but the fails with the following message:

System.Exception : System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater.

This is understandable since I don't have Oracle client installed on my machine and would like to avoid that (we have to manage several machines, so not fiddling with Oracle clients on each of them gives us great advantage, and dotConnect has been good in releasing us from it). My connection code looks like this:

var connectionString = ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings["OracleConnection"];
var dbFactory = new OrmLiteConnectionFactory(connectionString.ConnectionString, OracleDialect.Provider);

And here's a connection string:
<connectionStrings>
<add name="OracleConnection" connectionString="User Id=XXX;Password=XXX;Data Source=(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=XXX)(PORT=1521))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=XXX)));Persist Security Info=True" providerName="Devart.Data.Oracle"/>
</connectionStrings>

So the question is whether it's possible at all to replace Oracle client with dotConnect with such ORMs. Has anyone succeeded or there is no way to use these microORMs with dotConnect for Oracle?

Thanks in advance.

MariiaI
Devart Team

Re: Can dotConnect be used with ormLite or Simple.Data without installing Oracle client?

Post by MariiaI » Tue 12 Nov 2013 13:00

there is no way to use these microORMs with dotConnect for Oracle?
Our data provider implements the standard ADO.NET interface, so if these ORMs support ADO.NET providers, it should work with dotConnect for Oracle too. However, we have not tested them with dotConnect for Oracle. We advise you to contact the support of these ORMs.
This is understandable since I don't have Oracle client installed on my machine and would like to avoid that
Generally, to work without Oracle Client you could use the Direct mode: http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle ... tmode.html.

Please pay attention to our Entity Framework support in dotConnect for Oracle.
dotConnect for Oracle is an enhanced ORM enabled data provider for Oracle. It provides advanced support for Oracle database and supports ADO.NET Entity Framework, NHibernate, and LinqConnect (formerly known as LINQ to Oracle) - our own ORM solution, closely compatible to Microsoft LINQ to SQL. Please refer to:
http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle/features.html
http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/entityframework.html

object

Re: Can dotConnect be used with ormLite or Simple.Data without installing Oracle client?

Post by object » Tue 12 Nov 2013 14:52

Thanks, I checked both OrmLite and Simple.Data, and while the first one seemed to be hard wired to Oracle client, Simple.Data Oracle adapter could be adjusted to use dotConnect provider instead of Oracle (although I had to recompile it from source to achieve this).

Best regards
Vagif