configuring assembly versions (Could not load file or assembly error)

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
sonicraf

configuring assembly versions (Could not load file or assembly error)

Post by sonicraf » Wed 30 Oct 2013 14:36

we are using dotConnect for oracle, and I am trying to avoid having to install the product (in the GAC for every developer)

so i simply referenced the (Devart.Data.Oracle.*) assemblies in my solution.

however, runtime is complaining about missing assemblies

"An error occurred creating the configuration section handler for Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity: Could not load file or assembly 'Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity, Version=7.2.96.0, ..."

we are using version 8.0.17.0, so i indicated this in app.config

Code: Select all

<DbProviderFactories>
      <remove invariant="Devart.Data.Oracle" />
      <add name="dotConnect for Oracle" invariant="Devart.Data.Oracle" description="Devart dotConnect for Oracle"
       type="Devart.Data.Oracle.OracleProviderFactory, Devart.Data.Oracle, Version=8.0.17.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=09af7300eec23701" />
however, it keeps insisting on loading 7.2.96.0. Is there more configuration that needs to be added?

Shalex
Site Admin

Re: configuring assembly versions (Could not load file or assembly error)

Post by Shalex » Thu 31 Oct 2013 14:21

sonicraf wrote:so i simply referenced the (Devart.Data.Oracle.*) assemblies in my solution.

The full list of required Devart.* assemblies is described at http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle ... ml#project.
sonicraf wrote:"An error occurred creating the configuration section handler for Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity:
Could not load file or assembly 'Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity, Version=7.2.96.0, ..."
Have you specified the "Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity" section in your *.config of your application (http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle ... ation.html)? If yes, check the version in this section.

If this doesn't help, send us a small test project to reproduce the problem in our environment.

sonicraf

Post by sonicraf » Thu 31 Oct 2013 17:31

Shalex,

i see the sample config in that link, i'll try that now, will report shortly, thanks!

sonicraf

Post by sonicraf » Thu 31 Oct 2013 18:02

ok that config worked.

now i am onto a missing license error, (it was missing, and i added the .licx file from smaples folder) so now i am getting

Devart.Data.Oracle.OracleException (0x80004005): License not valid due to the problems with dotConnect for Oracle installation

does that mean there is no way for me to run it in VS w/out installing it in the GAC?

Pinturiccio
Devart Team

Post by Pinturiccio » Mon 04 Nov 2013 16:30

sonicraf wrote:License not valid due to the problems with dotConnect for Oracle installation
The exception can happen because of two possible reasons:
I. The exception occurs when you have some issue during dotConnect for Oracle installation on your development computer and the license resource is built incorrectly. To fix the license issue, do the following:
1. Uninstall dotConnect for Oracle;
2. Remove all Devart.* and policy.*.Devart.* files from the GAC;
3. Clear the Program Files\Devart\dotConnect and Program Files\Common Files\Devart\dotConnect folders;
4. Install dotConnect for Oracle;
5. Rebuild the license resource;
6. Delete all files from the bin and obj folders and rebuild the project. Make sure that there is dotConnect for Oracle installed on the machine where you build your application.

II. This error occurs when the licenses.licx file is added, but the project is build on a computer with no dotConnect for Oracle installed. Build the license resource manually on the workstation with dotConnect for Oracle installed and add the file you get to your project as embedded resource on build server. After this you will be able to build your application on your build server without installing dotConnect for Oracle. For more information, please refer to http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle ... ml#compile