how to get column comment into EDMX ?

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
2ns

how to get column comment into EDMX ?

Post by 2ns » Thu 05 Sep 2013 15:51

We are testing Devart dotConnect for Oracle in place of ODP for our new developments.

We are working with Database first : generation of the edmx and the classes with the database.

We want to get the Comment of the table columns in the edmx, but we don't manage to get it whith Devart dotConnect (don't work with ODP too) ! :cry:

Is-it possible ?
How to do it ?

Thank you for any response...

(sorry for my poor english!)

2ns

Re: how to get column comment into EDMX ?

Post by 2ns » Fri 06 Sep 2013 09:29

no reply?
do you confirm that it is not possible to recover the column comments in edmx using DataBase First with Devart?

if so, i think we'll still use ODP...

MariiaI
Devart Team

Post by MariiaI » Tue 10 Sep 2013 12:13

EDM Wizard doesn't provide support for getting database comments. Entity Developer, which is included in dotConnect for Oracle, allows getting database comments. We recommend you to create a Devart Entity Model instead of ADO.NET Entity Data Model using the Database Fisrt approach, and on the "Model properties" step of the Create Model Wizard select the "Use database comments" check box.

For more information about comparison of Entity Developer and Entity Data Model Designer please refer to http://www.devart.com/entitydeveloper/ed-vs-edm.html.

2ns

Post by 2ns » Tue 10 Sep 2013 12:30

Thank you for your response !

I'll take a look to Entity Developper... :)