from 6.7 to 7.7 problems

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
hepek

from 6.7 to 7.7 problems

Post by hepek » Thu 23 May 2013 16:34

Currently We are on dotConnect 6.7, trying to migrate to 7.7 build 242.

I did this migration on my secondary PC first. I run the new dotConnect setup and installed it with no problems. I had to change some code in order to accommodate changes in devart, like engine upgrade .... etc ...

So, after two weeks of tweaking and changing my code my app started working fine with latest version of dotConnect 7.7 build 242. I thought at this point I was ready to migrate my team to the latest version. The plan was let them install the latest dotConnect, get latest source code from TFS and be done with it. It is suppose to go smooth.

Before I asked my team to migrate I figured I should do it first on my primary PC and make sure everything is ok. My primary and secondary pc are almost identical.

I encountered a bunch of problems and will list them in my next post.
Last edited by hepek on Thu 23 May 2013 16:46, edited 1 time in total.

hepek

Re: from 6.7 to 7.7

Post by hepek » Thu 23 May 2013 16:36

so, I install the latest dotConnect to my primary PC.

I oepened visual studio and I received this error at the beginning:
---------------------------
Microsoft Visual Studio
The 'Devart.Data.Oracle.Vs.OracleDataProviderPackage' package did not load correctly.

The problem may have been caused by a configuration change or by the installation of another extension.
You can get more information by running the application together with the /log parameter on the command line,
and then examining the file 'C:\Users\ntanovic\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\ActivityLog.xml'.

Continue to show this error message?
Yes No

hepek

Post by hepek » Thu 23 May 2013 16:37

after I clicked YES I get in my app, got the latest source code and performed a full build. no errors.

when I run my app I get a dialog:
Message from webpage
Unable to log error: The type initializer for 'RRD.OnePlace.DAL.OnePlaceDataContext' threw an exception.
OK

then I get the exception:
Could not load type 'Devart.Data.Linq.EntityRef`1' from assembly 'Devart.Data.Linq, Version=3.1.34.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=09af7300eec23701'.

Stack Trace:
• Could not load type 'Devart.Data.Linq.EntityRef`1' from assembly 'Devart.Data.Linq, Version=3.1.34.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=09af7300eec23701'.
(System.TypeLoadException)
at RRD.OnePlace.WEB.OnePlaceUser..ctor(String networkID, String networkPWD, String rrdInternationalEmpNum)
at RRD.OnePlace.WEB.LoginPage.btnLogin_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\OnePlace\WebSite\RRD.OnePlace.WEB\LoginPage.aspx.cs:line 162
at System.Web.UI.WebControls.LinkButton.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

• Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown.
(System.Web.HttpUnhandledException)
at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
at ASP.loginpage_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) in c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files\rrd.oneplace.web\81038742\7108709b\App_Web_cmfyue0e.1.cs:line 0
at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)
Last edited by hepek on Thu 23 May 2013 18:25, edited 1 time in total.

hepek

Post by hepek » Thu 23 May 2013 16:38

so, I tried to run a custom tool on DataContext.lqml file and I get errors:

// Custom tool 'DevartLinqToSqlGenerator' failed.
// - Could not load type 'Devart.Data.Linq.IMultipleResults' from assembly 'Devart.Data.Linq, Version=3.1.34.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=09af7300eec23701'.
//

hepek

Post by hepek » Thu 23 May 2013 16:42

*note that the only diff between my secondary pc and my primary pc is my primary has VS 2012 installed.

I had to undo all changes in TFS, get a source code from yesterday, uninstall dotConnect 7.7, install back 6.7.

during uninstall I did get
Devart dotConnect for Oracle Setup Error
Error occured while removing toolbox tab.
You should remove it manually.

Please contact Devart support team if you cannot solve the problem.
"Install.log" file saved in dotConnect for Oracle installation folder.
This is not a fatal error, setup will continue after you press OK.
OK

Now I am back to square one having dotConnect 6.7 installed.

We need to move forward with upgrading dotConnect version so we cam migrate to VS 2012.
Please advice

thanks

MariiaI
Devart Team

Re: from 6.7 to 7.7 problems

Post by MariiaI » Fri 24 May 2013 12:32

Please perform the following steps and notify us about the results:
1) Uninstall dotConnect for Oracle 6.7 (and other Devart products, which can use the common assembly Devart.Data - LinqConnect for example).
2) Remove all Devart.* and policy.*.Devart.* assemblies from the GAC.
3) Clear the Program Files\Devart\dotConnect, Program Files\Devart\Entity Developer and Program Files\Common Files\Devart\dotConnect, Program Files\Common Files\Devart\Entity Developer folders.
4) Check that there are no Devart assemblies in the 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\' folder after uninstalling dotConnect for Oracle.
5) Install dotConnect for Oracle 7.7.242. Make sure that there are no opened Visual Studio instances before installing.
6) Delete all files from the bin and obj folders and rebuild your application.
7) Open you application; check that all Devart assemblies have Specific Version = False.
8) Remove System.Data.Linq assembly from the project; re-generate the code for your model.
9) In case, you are working with a web application, check that the Web.config file of your project contains the correct entries for all Devart assemblies, e.g.:

Code: Select all

<add assembly="Devart.Data, Version=5.0.701.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=09af7300eec23701" />
 <add assembly="Devart.Data.Linq, Version=4.2.247, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=09af7300eec23701" />
Looking forward to your reply.

hepek

Post by hepek » Fri 24 May 2013 13:57

Thank you.

I will try to follow your instructions.

what about this message:

Please contact Devart support team if you cannot solve the problem.
"Install.log" file saved in dotConnect for Oracle installation folder.
This is not a fatal error, setup will continue after you press OK.
how do I remove it manually, where is installation folder?

hepek

Post by hepek » Fri 24 May 2013 14:55

Hi Marria,

I followed your instructions but still no luck.

I can perform a full rebuild, but on run-time I still get:
Could not load type 'Devart.Data.Linq.EntityRef`1' from assembly 'Devart.Data.Linq, Version=3.1.34.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=09af7300eec23701'
and I also get:
Could not load type 'Devart.Data.Linq.Mapping.MappingSource' from assembly 'Devart.Data.Linq, Version=3.1.34.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=09af7300eec23701'
when I open visual studio I still get:
The 'Devart.Data.Oracle.Vs.OracleDataProviderPackage' package did not load correctly.
Please advise
Thank you

hepek

Post by hepek » Fri 24 May 2013 15:38

I was playing with a source code in order to narrow it down ... it looks like the moment I create the DataContext I get the exception:

MyDataContext dataContext = new MyDataContext();
Could not load type 'Devart.Data.Linq.Mapping.MappingSource' from assembly 'Devart.Data.Linq, Version=3.1.34.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=09af7300eec23701'.":"Devart.Data.Linq.Mapping.MappingSource
Devart.Data.Linq that I reference is version=4.2.247.0
(C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Devart\dotConnect\5.0\Net2\Common\Devart.Data.Linq.dll)

The exception is saying version=3.1.34.0

Could it be the somehow my app tries to load a wrong version of Devart.Data.Linq?

hepek

Post by hepek » Fri 24 May 2013 18:13

so, I have my secondary PC where I installed dotConnect 7.7 and everything works fine.
I have my primary machine where I receive run-time errors.

I searched the registry for "3.1.34.0" in both computers.

In my secondary PC I found NO matches for "3.1.34.0".

In my primary PC I found a bunch of places containing string 3.1.34.0, mostly related to policy.1.0.Devart.Data.Linq__09af7300eec23701

It looks slike this:

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Fusion\PublisherPolicy\Default
   - policy.1.0.Devart.Data.Linq__09af7300eec23701
      - 1 (folder)
         - 3.1.34.0 (folder)
Perhaps I should remove all the registry folders called 3.1.34.0. Please advice.

MariiaI
Devart Team

Post by MariiaI » Mon 27 May 2013 12:43

Please perform the steps above from 1 to 9 (cleaning the Devart folders and the GAC and closing all Visual Studio instances is mandatory).
during uninstall I did get
This error may occur if Visual Studio is still running or some background Visual Studio processes are running (check it in the Task Manager). Also, you could try remove this tab manually: Tools->Customize->Commands tab->Select the necessary item in the Menu bar and delete it.
This issue may be related to that fact that some older versions of Devart assemblies still exist.
Could it be the somehow my app tries to load a wrong version of Devart.Data.Linq?
Try removing Devart assemblies from the project and adding the Devart assemblies from the .NET tab of the 'Add Reference' dialog (VS 2010) or from the Assemblies->Extensions of the 'Reference Manager' dialog (VS 2012) and re-build your project.
It looks slike this:
Code:
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Fusion\PublisherPolicy\Default
- policy.1.0.Devart.Data.Linq__09af7300eec23701
- 1 (folder)
- 3.1.34.0 (folder)
Perhaps I should remove all the registry folders called 3.1.34.0. Please advice.
Yes, please remove registry folders called 3.1.34.0 (make sure they are exactly related to Devart).

Please notify us about the results.

hepek

Post by hepek » Tue 28 May 2013 15:11

I did all this, still no luck. I still get
'Devart.Data.Oracle.Vs.OracleDataProviderPackage' package did not load correctly
when I open Visual studio,

and I still get
Could not load type 'Devart.Data.Linq.EntityRef`1' from assembly 'Devart.Data.Linq, Version=3.1.34.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=09af7300eec23701'
on run-time.

I wonder where does this "3.1.34" come from. I cleaned up my registry and re-check. "3.1.34" does not exist in registry anymore.

I noticed after I un-installed previous version of dotConnect - there was still a bunch of references to devart in registry. hundreds perhaps.

Don't you have some "cleaner" executable that will completely clear registry of ALL devart references, like you never had devart installed?

thanks

hepek

Post by hepek » Tue 28 May 2013 15:18

Please understand, at this point this is emergency situation. My company is unable to move forward due to problems with devart. I would appreciate if you escalate this issue so we can get these issues resolved as quickly as possible.

thank you

MariiaI
Devart Team

Post by MariiaI » Wed 29 May 2013 12:39

Please follow these steps again to make sure you did not miss anything.

1) Uninstall dotConnect for Oracle 6.7 (and other Devart products, which can use the common assembly Devart.Data - LinqConnect for example).
2) Remove all Devart.* and policy.*.Devart.* assemblies from the GAC.
3) Clear the Program Files\Devart\dotConnect, Program Files\Devart\Entity Developer and Program Files\Common Files\Devart\dotConnect, Program Files\Common Files\Devart\Entity Developer folders.
4) Check that there are no Devart assemblies in the 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\' and 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL' folders after uninstalling dotConnect for Oracle.
5) Install dotConnect for Oracle 7.7.242. Make sure that there are no opened Visual Studio instances before installing.
6) Delete all files from the bin and obj folders and rebuild your application.
7) Open you application; check that all Devart assemblies have Specific Version = False.
8) Remove System.Data.Linq assembly from the project; re-generate the code for your model.
9) In case, you are working with a web application, check that the Web.config file of your project contains the correct entries for all Devart assemblies, e.g.:

<add assembly="Devart.Data, Version=5.0.701.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=09af7300eec23701" />
    <add assembly="Devart.Data.Linq, Version=4.2.247, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=09af7300eec23701" />
As well as, if the issues still persists after installing dotConnect for Oracle 7.7.242:
1) Please check the paths, from which the assemblies are loaded, to determine the reason of the error (related to the 3.1.34 version):
- start debugging your application;
- open Debug->Windows->Modules;
- find all Devart assemblies in the opened window and check their paths; find the 'Devart.Data.Linq' assembly with version 3.1.34 and look where from it is loaded.

2) Try catching the exception when starting Visual Studio to get the detailed information about the 'package did not load correctly' error:
- create any console application;
- open your project Properties-> Debug and set "Start external program" to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe ;
- open the Debug->Options and Settings and unmark the 'Enable Just My Code' check box;
- open the Debug->Exceptions and mark the 'Common Language Runtime Exceptions' check box;
- while running this application, you should get more detailed information about this exception.

3) Compare the versions of all Devart assemblies in these locations:
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Devart\dotConnect\
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Devart\dotConnect\Oracle\
C:\Program Files (x86)\Devart\dotConnect\Linq\
- GAC

The versions must be:
- Devart.Data - 5.0.701;
- Devart.Data.Design.dll - 5.0.701;
- Devart.Data.Oracle - 7.7.242;
- Devart.Data.Linq and Devart.Data.Oracle.Linq - 4.2.247;
- Devart.Data.Oracle.Design.dll - 7.7.242;
- Devart.Data.Oracle.Vs.dll - 7.7.242;

hepek

Post by hepek » Wed 29 May 2013 15:08

I did Debug Modules and I see the path to Devart assemblies is "C:\ProgramData\Red Gate\.NET Reflector\DevPath"

The files inside DevPath folder have wrong versions:
- Devart.Data.dll (5.0.401.0)
- Devart.Data.Linq.dll (3.1.34.0)
- Devart.Data.Oracle.dll (6.70.302.0)
- Devart.Data.Oracle.Linq.dll ((3.1.34.0)

These 3 dll's are not loaded at all (I don't see them on a list of modules)
- Devart.Data.Design.dll
- Devart.Data.Oracle.Design.dll
- Devart.Data.Oracle.Vs.dll

I searched my hard disk and found these files in:
Devart.Data.Design.dll (ver 5.0.701) - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Devart\dotConnect\5.0\Net2\Common

Devart.Data.Oracle.Design.dll (ver 7.7.242.0) and Devart.Data.Oracle.Vs.dll (ver 7.7.242.0) in C:\Program Files (x86)\Devart\dotConnect\Oracle