3987 ERRORS

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
hepek

3987 ERRORS

Post by hepek » Mon 20 May 2013 16:12

First let me tell you I generaly love your product dotConnect and very happy with support.
But I have few concerns I want to share with you.

I had dotConnect version 7.7.226 (April 23) on my computer. I was able to compile and run my app. Today I installed the latest version 7.2.242. Same version different build #.

I tried to compile my app and I received 3,987 ERRORS. I listed some of them later on.
I did not change my code at all. After I spent an hour or so trying to figure out what is wrong, I decided to go back to the previous build (7.7.226). After installing build 226 all my errors are gone and I am able to compile the project again.

Please escalate this issue since this is something that should never happen.

I also noticed that in last few months Devart support on this forum is getting worse and worse. I reported issues and bugs with dotConnect version, 7 but they tried to convince me this is normal behavior, they offered me solutions that don't work and don't make sense at all. At the end I had to figure out thinks and find a way around some bugs by myself.
My management is loosing patience, we were unable to migrate to VS 2012 due to bugs in dotConnect 7 and poor support from Devart.

Another think I noticed is you do not include a build # in the setup file name. build
7.2.242 and 7.7.226 have the same executable name: dcoracle77pro.exe so we don't know the difference.

Devart ... I believe in you guys. Don't let me lose my faith. Please escalate these issues and please provide us with excellent support and product like you used to.

thank you.

here is some of 3987 errors I received:
Error 149 'System.Data.Function' is inaccessible due to its protection level C:\OnePlace\WebSite\RRD.OnePlace.DAL\OnePlaceDataContext.Designer.cs 1116 10 RRD.OnePlace.DAL

Error 3792 The type or namespace name 'TableAttribute' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) C:\OnePlace\WebSite\RRD.OnePlace.DAL\OnePlaceDataContext.Designer.cs 49754 6 RRD.OnePlace.DAL

Error 17 The type or namespace name 'Devart' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) C:\OnePlace\WebSite\RRD.OnePlace.DAL\OnePlaceDataContext.Designer.cs 34 36 RRD.OnePlace.DAL

Error 1115 The type or namespace name 'Column' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) C:\OnePlace\WebSite\RRD.OnePlace.DAL\OnePlaceDataContext.Designer.cs 13285 10 RRD.OnePlace.DAL

hepek

Re: 3987 ERRORS

Post by hepek » Mon 20 May 2013 16:15

I have one more question: in Visual Studio when I add refference to Devart ansemblies, I see they are located in folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Devart\dotConnect\5.00\Net2\Common"

so, I have dotConnect version 7 but Devart dll's are in folder named 5.0.
Is this ok?

thank you

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Tue 21 May 2013 15:42

hepek wrote:I had dotConnect version 7.7.226 (April 23) on my computer. I was able to compile and run my app. Today I installed the latest version 7.2.242. Same version different build #.
I tried to compile my app and I received 3,987 ERRORS. I listed some of them later on.
I did not change my code at all. After I spent an hour or so trying to figure out what is wrong, I decided to go back to the previous build (7.7.226). After installing build 226 all my errors are gone and I am able to compile the project again.
Please install 7.7.226 (or newer 7.7.242) version of dotConnect for Oracle again, select Devart.* assemblies in the References node of your project and set their Specific Version property to False, rebuild the project, and run it. Does it work?
hepek wrote:I also noticed that in last few months Devart support on this forum is getting worse and worse. I reported issues and bugs with dotConnect version, 7 but they tried to convince me this is normal behavior, they offered me solutions that don't work and don't make sense at all. At the end I had to figure out thinks and find a way around some bugs by myself.
We are sorry to receive such feedback. Please specify the exact threads on the forum and numbers of tickets where the level of support was unsatisfying. We will analyse the correspondence and give you our feedback.
hepek wrote:Another think I noticed is you do not include a build # in the setup file name. build 7.2.242 and 7.7.226 have the same executable name: dcoracle77pro.exe so we don't know the difference.
Please right click on the installer (dcoracle77pro.exe) > Properties > Details: there will be the full version with the build number in this tab.
hepek wrote:I have one more question: in Visual Studio when I add refference to Devart ansemblies, I see they are located in folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Devart\dotConnect\5.00\Net2\Common"
so, I have dotConnect version 7 but Devart dll's are in folder named 5.0.
Is this ok?
\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Devart\dotConnect\5.00\Net2\Common is a folder which is shared between several Devart products. Please check the \Program Files (x86)\Devart\dotConnect\Oracle\ folder which is created by dotConnect for Oracle installation.
Devart data providers use a common assembly (Devart.Data.dll) so its number does not coincide with the number of a particular provider.

hepek

Post by hepek » Tue 21 May 2013 17:01

I just migrated from 7.7.226 to 7.7.242.

I took your advice about setting Specific Version property to False and that helped.

The fact is even my old settings worked since a day one and I upgraded several times.
If anything changed in latest build I believe we should have been informed.

thank you for your help.

it is not clear to me: when I add reference in my project should I point to "Program Files \Common Files\Devart\dotConnect\5.00\Net2\Common" folder or "Program Files \Devart\dotConnect\Oracle". Visual Studio offers both of them, but files inside are the same version. which way is better or safer as far as migrating to next version of dotConnect?

as far as pointing out my threads that I feel I did not get correct support - I don't want point fingers. I know we all try our best and I don't want to blame anyone for anything. you can check last few threads of mine if you want.

thank you

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Wed 22 May 2013 08:35

hepek wrote:it is not clear to me: when I add reference in my project should I point to "Program Files \Common Files\Devart\dotConnect\5.00\Net2\Common" folder or "Program Files \Devart\dotConnect\Oracle"
This doesn't matter.