Database Explorer - show ALL objects in dotConnect 7.7

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
hepek

Database Explorer - show ALL objects in dotConnect 7.7

Post by hepek » Tue 14 May 2013 16:15

Hi,

In my application we have a multiple oracle schemas that we use, about 10 of them. For that reason I have to click "Show All Objects" icon in database explorer in order to see tables and views by all schemas. With dotConnect version 6.7 I used to see a way too many users on my list of schemas, even the oracle account that are not schemas and own no objects.

After I installed dotConnect version 7.7 all I see in DB explorer is 10 users (all 10 are actually oracle schemas), which is exactly what I need. I was very happy with that change. It was like that for a while. But today all of the sudden - I can see all users again like I used to with version 6.7. I am back to square one.

Is there any setting in version 7.7 to limit oracle accounts and show ONLY oracle schemas(accounts that own objects) in DB explorer?

thank you

Shalex
Site Admin

Re: Database Explorer - show ALL objects in dotConnect 7.7

Post by Shalex » Mon 20 May 2013 12:54

hepek wrote:I am positive, 100% sure that nothing changed in database, and just 3 days ago I could only see a limited number of schemas in DB explorer tree-view. I liked that because it makes it easier to find the right schema and expand it.

3 days ago there were only 10 schema in DB explorer, and not it is more then a thousand again. 100% sure. nothing changed on database side, also 100% sure.

There must be explanation for that.
1. Were any changes in your environment? For example: upgrade of the version of dotConnect for Oracle, etc.
2. You are working with LinqConnect models, aren't you?
3. Specify the exact build number (x.xx.xxx) of your current dotConnect for Oracle.

hepek

Post by hepek » Mon 20 May 2013 16:43

no, nothing changed in my environment.
the exact build number is 7.7.242.

What is the point of showing user in DB explorer that has no tables, views, procedures ... nothing.

in Oracle, "schema" us generally considered to be user who owns some objects, as opposed to just "user" who can only connect to database and it has certain access rights assigned to it.

I believe we should see only schemas in DB explorer, not users. I am 100% sure that's what I saw for 2-3 weeks, and I was happy with that change. That's why I thought perhaps Devart introduced some more options for filtering users with version 7. I even shared this happiness with my co-workers who did not get the never version yet. But it did not last long and now I have to explain to my team we will still be seeing a thousands of users in DB explorer.

thank you

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Tue 21 May 2013 15:08

hepek wrote:I believe we should see only schemas in DB explorer, not users.
We will investigate the possibility of filtering available schemas in Database Explorer to display the ones the connected user has access to. As a workaround, update your model with Update Model From Database Wizard: http://www.devart.com/entitydeveloper/e ... eloper.chm > ORM Support > LinqConnect > Synchronizing Model and Database > Updating Model from Database. On the 3d step only schemas of the objects, which are already in the model, are selected by default. So you will get only needed 10 schemas on the 4th step.
hepek wrote:After I installed dotConnect version 7.7 all I see in DB explorer is 10 users (all 10 are actually oracle schemas), which is exactly what I need.
It looks like you envoked Update Database From Model Wizard. Because this wizard shows only schemas of the objects, which are already in the model.

hepek

Post by hepek » Tue 21 May 2013 15:34

unfortunately, even when I invoke "Update from Database", initially I get thousands of user on a list. After "retrieve differences" is done the list shrinks to schemas used in my data context.

thank you for your time

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Tue 21 May 2013 15:47

hepek wrote:unfortunately, even when I invoke "Update from Database", initially I get thousands of user on a list.
Yes, but only schemas used in the model are selected by default. So you can just skip this step by clicking Next.