Strange issue with licence and build server

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
rasheed

Strange issue with licence and build server

Post by rasheed » Wed 10 Apr 2013 14:40

Hello,

I have a WCF service that uses dotConnect for Oracle, for the deployment, I added the licenses.licx (Devart.Data.Oracle.OracleConnection, Devart.Data.Oracle) and the references to Devart (Devart.Data.dll, Devart.Data.Oracle.ll and Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity.dll) to the project and I added dotConnect for Oracle DbProviderFactory in the Web.Config. I've not installed dotConnect for Oracle in my development environment and it works if I install the web service in my host and call it from another host. But when I build the service in the build server (where I haven't installed dotConnect for Oracle too), I get this error when I try to access the service :

Code: Select all

System.Data.EntityException: The underlying provider failed on Open. ---> Devart.Data.Oracle.OracleException: License not valid due to the problems with dotConnect for Oracle installation.
   at Devart.Data.Oracle.OracleConnection.Open()
   at System.Data.EntityClient.EntityConnection.OpenStoreConnectionIf(Boolean openCondition, DbConnection storeConnectionToOpen, DbConnection originalConnection, String exceptionCode, String attemptedOperation, Boolean& closeStoreConnectionOnFailure)
I open MyWebService.dll compiled with the build server with JustDecompile and I can see the license MyWebService.dll.licenses as embedded resource, as I can see it in my development environment so I don't understand what's wrong??? When building the project in Visual Studio the license is automatically generated with lc.exe, I activated ProcessMonitor to watch which files/registry/etc.. is accessed by lc.exe and I discovered that the registry is accessed (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/Fusion/PublisherPolicy/Default/policy.1.0.Devart.**). I repeat dotConnect for Oracle is not installed in my development environment nor on the build server. So I thought that was the problem!! I then installed dotConnect for Oracle on the build server and uninstall it directly (just to have the registry values set) and run my build. And that works!!! I think the MyWebService.dll.licenses is now valid!! Why should we have to install dotConnect for Oracle one time??? Is this an issue??? I spent one day to find the solution..

Thanks!
Rasheed

Shalex
Site Admin

Re: Strange issue with licence and build server

Post by Shalex » Fri 12 Apr 2013 12:02

rasheed wrote: But when I build the service in the build server (where I haven't installed dotConnect for Oracle too), I get this error when I try to access the service
There are two ways of making it possible to build a project with the Devart license resource on your build server:
1. dotConnect for Oracle should be installed on your build server. After installing dotConnect for Oracle on your build server, and then uninstalling dotConnect for Oracle, some keys remain in the registry, this is what currently allows you to build a valid license after uninstalling the provider. This is a known issue. We will notify you when it is fixed.
2. Building the license resource manually and adding the file you get to your project. After this you will be able to build your application on your build server without installing dotConnect for Oracle. For more information, please refer to http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle ... ml#compile.

Please note, that our product is licensed for developers (not for a workstation or a server). The build server is not required to have a license from the point of view of the license agreement.

rasheed

Re: Strange issue with licence and build server

Post by rasheed » Mon 22 Apr 2013 11:20

Ok I understand now, maybe the second way is better for because we don't have to install devart on every developer computer and only one person is responsible to update Devard.

Thank you!