Connection pool not cleared

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
hegyesi

Connection pool not cleared

Post by hegyesi » Mon 07 Jan 2013 16:15

Hello Devart Team,

I need some help. In our application it seems to me that the application don't close the inactive connections, and don't delete the unnecessary connections from the pool. Is there a timeout for this?

I don't know exactly what is the actual required connection number, but there are about 130 connections and there are about 180 new asp.net sessions in the last hour.

How can I examine that the application reuse these connections and it is a correct number or maybe something is wrong?

I don't know the number that how many connections are required for the current web server loading.

Thank you for your help.

Istvan

hegyesi

Re: Connection pool not cleared

Post by hegyesi » Wed 09 Jan 2013 06:52

I think i could solve my problem. There were two open connections without close operations.

I share my solution maybe somebody else run into this problem too.
Step 1: Turn off pooling
Step 2: Run the application, click on every button, every menu item, open every forms.
Step 3: In the same time you have to examine the active connection count between your computer and database server. I wrote a util app for this, and this app always show me the actual connection numbers. It selects the v$session view.
Step 4: In a good scenario when you click on a button after the operation the connection numbers must equals with the number before the button click.
If you don't turn off pooling the connection don't close after the close operation and you don't know that it coused by a wrong behaviour or by the pool.

Istvan