Invalid license

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
esben

Invalid license

Post by esben » Mon 03 Dec 2012 13:36

We have a product that we just shipped into production environment after extensive testing of the dotconnect for oracle driver. However now ONE of our customers experience an issue where a two features of the application, occasionally reports an "License invalid" error.

This ONLY happens for that customer, and only sometimes (same feature, same code path). We are unable to reproduce it in our environments.

The license is added for the executing assembly, but the error comes from a class library.
There is no license information in the class library (This way of doing it seems to work for all our class libraries in general).

I had yet another look at http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle ... nsing.html to no avail.

The only commonality I can see from the code is that the work is done in/by a background worker (i.e. a seperate thread).

Pinturiccio
Devart Team

Re: Invalid license

Post by Pinturiccio » Fri 07 Dec 2012 13:23

The "License invalid" exception means that license information was found but it is incorrect.

A valid license for *.exe must be available at any level of this chain: either built in *.exe (licenses.licx), or added to one of the class libraries in use (licenses.licx + licenses.config with the name of *.exe).
esben wrote:The license is added for the executing assembly, but the error comes from a class library.
There is no license information in the class library (This way of doing it seems to work for all our class libraries in general).
The issue may be caused by the fact that not all of the user's files were updated. For example, the class library was updated, but not all of the executable files were updated too. Or vice versa, the executable files were updated, but the class library was not. In this case versions specified in the license and the ones used by the library are not the same, and this causes the "License not valid..." exception.

esben

Post by esben » Fri 07 Dec 2012 14:03

As I mentioned the license is built into the .exe (licenses.licx).

We already did a clean build and a clean installation of the application, but the error prevails.

In the same part of the code, we have an issue with connections not being closed properly (which eventually will lead to an exception). Could this license error be a side effect of that? (I am taking a wild guess as this problem is seriously strange).

Also if your theory about a "non" updated assembly/exe was the cause, we should get the error every time. It is periodic (i.e. not every time we execute the same code path).

Pinturiccio
Devart Team

Post by Pinturiccio » Tue 11 Dec 2012 15:48

Please provide the exact exception message and stack trace. Please also send us your executable file that generates the exception, or the license resource.
Perhaps, dotConnect for Oracle is installed on the user's computer, and its version does not correspond to the version used by your application. In this case the user has more than one Devart.Data.Oracle assembly and from time to time one or the other is loaded, this is why the license issue persists.

esben

Post by esben » Wed 12 Dec 2012 06:57

I have send you a stack trace of the exception.

It might be that the customer has some version of dotConnect for Oracle installed into GAC since they use Toad (and that seems to use dotConnect) - however we have this on our test rigs as well and never encountered the problem there.

Just to let you know I filed a bug-report related to rollbacks of transactions, that specific issue has caused a connection leak, and the license exception appears in the same code that encounters the connection leak - it might be unrelated.

Pinturiccio
Devart Team

Post by Pinturiccio » Thu 13 Dec 2012 15:14

This is a very strange behaviour when the license issue occurs non-persistently.
esben wrote:In the same part of the code, we have an issue with connections not being closed properly (which eventually will lead to an exception). Could this license error be a side effect of that? (I am taking a wild guess as this problem is seriously strange).
Could you please locate the code that, in your opinion, leads to the license issue, create a test project and send it to the user to find our whether the issue is reproduced with this project. If it is reproduced, please send this example to us.