DbMonitor issue

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
esben

DbMonitor issue

Post by esben » Thu 29 Nov 2012 09:30

Hi There
I have an issue with DbMonitor logging events, but not showing me anything in the events window (i.e. no sql statements).

The process tree, call tree and object tree all get populated as i do database operations in our application. It works fine on the other team members installations, but for some reason it is broken on mine.

I tried uninstalling, clearing any obvious registry key settings left overs, and re-installed but to no avail.

Any ideas?

I am running:
Windows 8 Enterprise
Visual Studio 2012
dotConnect for Oracle version 7.2.77.0
Everything is run as administrator.

Shalex
Site Admin

Re: DbMonitor issue

Post by Shalex » Tue 04 Dec 2012 10:18

We cannot reproduce the problem in our test environment. Try the following:
1. Make sure that you are using the latest (3.0.3) version of dbMonitor.
2. Run dbMonitor, create a separate console application and execute the code:

Code: Select all

new OracleMonitor() { IsActive = true };
    using (OracleConnection conn = new OracleConnection(connStr)) {
        conn.Open();
        OracleCommand cmd = conn.CreateCommand();
        cmd.CommandText = "select 1+1 from dual";
        Console.WriteLine(cmd.ExecuteScalar());
        Console.ReadKey();
    }
Check dbMonitor, does it show the SQL query?

Documentation: http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle ... nitor.html.

Notify us about the results.

esben

Post by esben » Tue 04 Dec 2012 10:48

Exactly the same thing, everything but the "right side" is populated with data.

Can't attach a screenshot to the forum unfortunately.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Wed 05 Dec 2012 09:53

1. Your application and dbMonitor are run on the same workstation, aren't they? Make sure that the port used by the dbMonitor tool (1000 by default) is open on your computer.
2. Were there any errors when you installed dbMonitor?
3. Try to debug the application on your workstation to find out if there are any inner exceptions. Make sure that these options are set:
a) in the (Debug | Exceptions) window select Common Language Runtime Exceptions;
b) in the (Tools | Options) window, Debugging | General - clear Enable Just My Code (Managed Only)

esben

Post by esben » Wed 05 Dec 2012 10:12

1. Yes it is running on the same machine (localhost). There is no firewall it is completely disabled and by the way is not active when things go through localhost (per default).
Besides if it was a connection problem it rather unlikely that the Process, Calltree and Object tree would get populated with the right data as queries are executed.
2. No errors during installation, i even tried to uninstall clear any left over files in AppData etc (even removed some left over regstry entries) and did a re-install. No difference.
3. I just did a run with absolutely all exceptions (unmanaged, GPU etc) set to break on exception (not just unhandled) - and of course Just my code disabled. No difference.

Pinturiccio
Devart Team

Post by Pinturiccio » Mon 10 Dec 2012 14:20

Please check the following settings in dbMonitor:
1. Tools->Options->Events. Tell us the values of the following options: 'Events per process', 'Drop events block', 'Redraw interval (ms)';
2. View->Event Filter. Tell us whether 'Event types' is selected and check that there are no values in 'Time Stamp' and 'Duration'.

esben

Post by esben » Mon 10 Dec 2012 14:25

It was the event filter (a timestamp) :/
Thank you very much for letting me on the right trail. Thought I had looked at that a few times already. Sorry to have wasted your time.

Pinturiccio
Devart Team

Post by Pinturiccio » Mon 10 Dec 2012 14:57

We are glad to hear that the issue is solved. If you have any further questions, feel free to contact us.