Invalid ServiceName

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
sskarupa

Invalid ServiceName

Post by sskarupa » Mon 27 Feb 2012 15:04

I just started working with this product and have successfully built and tested a minor application using it. In the lower environments (DEV and BETA) I had no problems connecting to the servers using direct mode. However, when I pushed to production, I am no longer able to connect.

I am getting the message "Invalid ServiceName" message when I try to open the connection.

Some background info:

> Connection string = " User Id=xxxx;Password=xxx;Direct=True;Sid=sidname;Server=orclxxxx;Port=1234;"

> I had the dba's run "SELECT * FROM V$INSTANCE" and verified that the Sid = sidname and that the server was correct.

> I tried both the server name and ip address. I also tried to put the servicename into the connection string, but my research has indicated that we should not use the servicename if we are using Direct mode.

> I also verified that the other instances were setup the same way and that versions were identical. We do not use RAC.

> I logged into a Sql editor to validate that the username/password were correct.

I don't want to use the non-direct mode (primary reason for purchasing the product).

I'm at a loss of where to go next. Please help I need to get this in production!

Thanks!
-Steve

Where

sskarupa

Re: Invalid ServiceName

Post by sskarupa » Mon 27 Feb 2012 16:42

sskarupa wrote:I just started working with this product and have successfully built and tested a minor application using it. In the lower environments (DEV and BETA) I had no problems connecting to the servers using direct mode. However, when I pushed to production, I am no longer able to connect.

I am getting the message "Invalid ServiceName" message when I try to open the connection.

Some background info:

> Connection string = " User Id=xxxx;Password=xxx;Direct=True;Sid=sidname;Server=orclxxxx;Port=1234;"

> I had the dba's run "SELECT * FROM V$INSTANCE" and verified that the Sid = sidname and that the server was correct.

> I tried both the server name and ip address. I also tried to put the servicename into the connection string, but my research has indicated that we should not use the servicename if we are using Direct mode.

> I also verified that the other instances were setup the same way and that versions were identical. We do not use RAC.

> I logged into a Sql editor to validate that the username/password were correct.

I don't want to use the non-direct mode (primary reason for purchasing the product).

I'm at a loss of where to go next. Please help I need to get this in production!

Thanks!
-Steve

Where
This has been resolved. Apparently the Listener on the box is not working correctly...

-Steve