oracle error message localization

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
slaxman

oracle error message localization

Post by slaxman » Mon 14 Nov 2011 22:13

The DB is in german language but the oracle error message that comes via devart is in english. I am expecting the message to be in German and I am wondering whether devart is translating it. I don't see any language prefs. during devart install. So,

Is english the default and only language supported?

If not, how to change it? Is there a resource assembly (.NET like) for each language?

thanks
slaxman

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Tue 15 Nov 2011 15:43

slaxman wrote:The DB is in german language but the oracle error message that comes via devart is in english.
Please tell us your current language for non-Unicode programs from the Control Panel > Region and Language menu of your operating system.

If you are using the OCI connection mode (via Oracle client), the language of the messages is defined by the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\%HomeName% > NLS_LANG setting of your Oracle client: http://www.orafaq.com/wiki/NLS_LANG.

Anyway, you can change language for a particular connection by executing ALTER SESSION SET NLS_LANGUAGE = 'YOUR_LANGUAGE' on the connection.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Wed 16 Nov 2011 11:10

UPDATE:

There are two types of the errors:

1) errors which are generated at the server side (e.g., "ORA-00001: unique constraint violated"). Language of these errors is defined by the NLS_LANGUAGE server variable and doesn't depend on the client settings.

2) errors which are generated at the client side (e.g., "NET: Invalid SID"). The language depends on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\%HomeName% > NLS_LANG setting of your Oracle client in the OCI mode. And the language is always English in the Direct mode.