ExecuteReader on large dataset is slow to return

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
betawarz

ExecuteReader on large dataset is slow to return

Post by betawarz » Tue 27 Sep 2011 16:27

Hi all,

I'm executing a select query that returns a large amount of data. I'm currently using ExecuteReader to read the results. This function call can take up to 30 seconds to return, though. I see that theres the ExecutePageReader, but that sounds like what I'd use for a subset of the results.

Is there a way to maybe load in the results in a lazy manner, and not have to wait for the entire result set to be loaded? Or, is that what ExecuteReader is doing?

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Wed 28 Sep 2011 15:22

cmd.ExecuteReader() executes simple select very quickly. But if your query contains "ORDER BY", "JOIN", etc, this makes reader to process all records of the result set. So, use a simple select if possible.
As an alternative, delegate the operation of preparing your result set to the server side by creating materialized view (e.g.: http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B137 ... s_6002.htm ), and query the result set with your cmd.ExecuteReader() from the materialized view.