Two apps, same web site, different versions of dotConnect

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
Anchor

Two apps, same web site, different versions of dotConnect

Post by Anchor » Fri 23 Sep 2011 14:21

Hello,

Can someone tell me if this is possible? I want to run two applications on the same web site but each application using a different version of dotConnect for Oracle.

The reason we want to have the apps on the same web site is because we want to reuse the same URL. Therefore, one app is accessed via http://myportal.company.com and the other app use the URL http://myportal.company.com/otherapp.

Is this possible?

Thanks,
Joe

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Tue 27 Sep 2011 15:53

Yes, you can use several versions of dotConnect for Oracle in your deployment environment. Two approaches:
1) placing the Devart.* assemblies of the corresponding version in the bin folders of your web sites;
2) using "Minimal installation" for several versions of dotConnect for Oracle on the same workstation:
a) delete the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Devart\Installed Products\dotConnect\Net2\Oracle key before each new provider installation;
b) be aware that each dotConnect for Oracle installation package places the policy.*.Devart.* files to GAC. If you use several versions of our provider, you should remove these policy files from your GAC.

Anchor

Post by Anchor » Tue 04 Oct 2011 15:51

Thank you for the information.

I am leaning towards options #1. Therefore, do I copy the just DLLs from the C:\Program Files\Devart\dotConnect\Oracle folder or are there more DLLs? (It seems like I don't need all of them.)

For instance, I see in the folder C:\Program Files\Devart\dotConnect\Oracle\Entity\EF4 the DLL Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity.dll. I am assuming I need this as well. Is this correct? (BTW, I am using VS 2010 - .NET 4.0 - EF v4)

Are there any other DLLs I am missing?

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Wed 05 Oct 2011 14:47

There are two requirements for Entity Framework projects to function.

1. The required assemblies Devart.Data.dll, Devart.Data.Oracle.dll, and Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity.dll have to be available for your application. The assemblies should reside in GAC or in the application's folder. Be aware that there are two versions of Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity.dll in the folder of provider installation - for Entity Framework v 1 and for Entity Framework v 4.

2. Inform your environment about the provider factory existence (add the entry to the DbProviderFactories section). This can be done as follows:

Code: Select all

Replace 6.50.228.0 here with your actual version.