Licensing for paid users

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
mrjoltcola

Licensing for paid users

Post by mrjoltcola » Wed 24 Aug 2011 06:14

It would save us so much headache if you would simply do away with the license check and give paid customers a version without it.

Sure, evaluation assembly, leave the license, to ensure unpaid customers pay up.

The license check only affects honest people. And it is embarassing when the build messes up and our customers see license errors!

Any cracker / hacker who wishes to circumvent will do so. Meanwhile you spend so much time on this forum answering problems about the license file. Why not make everyone's life easier?

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Mon 29 Aug 2011 14:16

.NET component licensing is used in dotConnect for Oracle because this is a requirement of our company's policy. We are investigating the way to make our licensing model easier.

mrjoltcola

Post by mrjoltcola » Mon 29 Aug 2011 17:16

Hi Shalex, I was reall considering your sake in this more than mine. I know you have a lot to support already. Just something to consider.

In actuality, we have finalized our build process, and aren't having any more problems, but a new developer got involved off-site and started doing builds, and his build did not have the proper licensing even though I believe he bought his own license. I will verify this, though, it may be false alarm.

But still, could be less headache for you guys. :)