Errors when creating an Oracle data source for LightSwitch

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
Konamiman

Errors when creating an Oracle data source for LightSwitch

Post by Konamiman » Thu 11 Aug 2011 14:24

I want to develop a Visual Studio LightSwitch application that uses an Oracle database as the data source. I have dotConnect for Oracle installed so I want to use it as the data provider for accessing the Oracle database.

The steps I follow are:

1. Open Visual Studio, create new LightSwitch project
2. Click on "Attach external data source", select "Database" type
3. Select dotConnect for Oracle as the data provider
4. Set the connection properties, test the connection
5. The database object selection screen appears with the "Retrieving database object" message, then after a while the following errors appear:

The error messages are in Spanish. This is an approximate translation of the first one:

(1,781453) : error 2039: The 'ELLIPSOID_ID' property of the conceptual side has been already assigned to a storage property of 'decimal' type. If a property of the conceptual side is assigned to more than one property of the storage model, make sure that all properties on the storage model have the same type.

I have no idea what is happening here, and I don't have any property named ELLIPSOID_ID in any of the tables of my database. So, what's wrong here?

By the way, I have no problems for accessing the very same database by using a LinqConnect model.

Additional details:

- Using LightSwitch 2011 RTM in Visual Studio 2010 SP1.
- dotConnect for Oracle version is 6.30.196.0
- Database is Oracle 10g Express Release 10.2.0.1.0

Thank you!

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Mon 15 Aug 2011 13:20

We have reproduced the error. We will investigate the issue and notify you about the results as soon as possible.

goethals.f

Post by goethals.f » Wed 17 Aug 2011 06:06

Shalex wrote:We have reproduced the error. We will investigate the issue and notify you about the results as soon as possible.
Yesterday, I just tried the LightSwitch with devart and oracle, and had the Exact same error-message.... (but in english)

I tested it with

- VS.NET 2010 premium SP1 and Lightswitch 2011
- dotConnect for Oracle version is 6.30.196.0
- Database Oracle 11.2.0.2

I would also appreciate it if you could notify me when you have any results about this issue...

Thx
Fred

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Wed 17 Aug 2011 07:01

We will post here about the results of our investigation.

Konamiman

Post by Konamiman » Mon 12 Sep 2011 07:31

I see that it is still not solved in version 6.50... :(

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Tue 13 Sep 2011 10:58

We are working on this issue. We will notify you about the results.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Thu 22 Sep 2011 16:16

The bug with EDM Wizard when creating a model is fixed. We will post here when the corresponding build of dotConnect for Oracle is available for download.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Fri 30 Sep 2011 13:45

New build of dotConnect for Oracle 6.50.228 is available for download now!
It can be downloaded from http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle/download.html (trial version) or from Registered Users' Area (for users with valid subscription only). For more information, please refer to http://www.devart.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22164 .

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Fri 30 Sep 2011 13:48

Notify us about the results. If the issue persists, please send us the DDL script to reproduce the issue.

goethals.f

Post by goethals.f » Mon 10 Oct 2011 11:40

Shalex wrote:Notify us about the results. If the issue persists, please send us the DDL script to reproduce the issue.
Hello, today i have tested the LightSwitch again, but it give still the same error.

I tested it with

- VS.NET 2010 premium SP1 and Lightswitch 2011
- dotConnect for Oracle version is 6.50.228.0
- Database Oracle 11.2.0.2
- Tried with: oracle client 8, 10, 11

I have tested with a seperate DB-owner, and seperate tablespace with has only one table in it. (seee below)

I have the feeling it takes also a long time to retrieve the Db-objects (I only have 1 in my schema), and get to the error.

*) Does the Lightswitch fetches all the DB-objects (all schema's) first before you can select ?
*) What happens if 1 of your tables is a table without primary key, etc... --> does your full DB needs to be 100% OK, to use Lightswitch onle for some tables ?

Fred

CREATE TABLE TESTING_FG_ADMIN.TEST1 (
COL1 NUMBER(38),
CONSTRAINT PK_TEST1 PRIMARY KEY (COL1))
TABLESPACE TESTING_FG
LOGGING;

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Tue 11 Oct 2011 11:41

goethals.f wrote:*) Does the Lightswitch fetches all the DB-objects (all schema's) first before you can select ?
The Lightswitch fetches all the DB-objects, which your current user has access to. Please follow the recommendations from http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle ... izard.html, "The Wizard Or EDM Designer Work Very Slowly" (do not connect as DBA, remove the privileges SELECT ANY TABLE, etc).
goethals.f wrote:*) What happens if 1 of your tables is a table without primary key, etc... --> does your full DB needs to be 100% OK, to use Lightswitch onle for some tables ?
This decision is taken by EDM Wizard (it either creates primary key basing on all NOT NULL columns or excludes the table from the list).

goethals.f

Post by goethals.f » Tue 11 Oct 2011 12:43

Hello,

I tested it again with a non dba-user which has only acces to some tables. and indeed, after some time I can select the tables and complete the wizard.

But when I just try to run the project itself, I get an error related to a SQLEXpress not found. Does the lightSwitch still needs some sql server ?

Code: Select all

Error	101	An error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server instance '.\SQLEXPRESS'.
A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Shared Memory Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)	C:\Program Files\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\LightSwitch\v1.0\Microsoft.LightSwitch.targets	157	10	LightSwitchTest1

When I look in the file C:\Program Files\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\LightSwitch\v1.0\Microsoft.LightSwitch.targets at line 157. I see the following info.

Is there still something that's missing or that I have done wrong.

My first test was to just create a basic default LightSwitch app, with 1-2 tables to see what it could do...

PS: in the generated app.config, there was some connectionstring, but I have tested with and without these. But still the same error.

-->

Is there any Lightswitch Devart example available somewhere ?

Greetings,

Fred

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Wed 12 Oct 2011 15:15

goethals.f wrote:An error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server instance '.\SQLEXPRESS'.
Could you please try creating the new LightSwitch Application project that works only with Data Source which uses dotConnect for Oracle? Does the problem persist in this case as well? We cannot reproduce the issue at the moment.

goethals.f

Post by goethals.f » Fri 28 Oct 2011 13:59

Shalex wrote:
goethals.f wrote:An error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server instance '.\SQLEXPRESS'.
Could you please try creating the new LightSwitch Application project that works only with Data Source which uses dotConnect for Oracle? Does the problem persist in this case as well? We cannot reproduce the issue at the moment.
Hello

Sorry for the late replay, but was really busy with some other projects.

I just tested some more, and it seems I can only get it working, when on my devel pc my SQLServerExpress-service is really started and running. Then no build problems occurs.

When I switch my local sqlserver express off, I get the build error again.
I also check the contents of my local DB, but there was nothing in it.

Also, a simple deploy to a IIS on win2003 server, did work.

so it seems maybe the developer "needs" a sqlserver express running for some reasons.

But now, I have some more questions related lightswitch - oracle - devart.

I created a new project, and included 1 DB-table with an ID-field as primary key.

When I first wanted to create a new record, I got the famous transaction-error (http://www.devart.com/forums/viewtopic. ... ightswitch) which i could solve by the explanation in that thread.

My table, currently has no trigger for creating ID-value based on sequence --> so inserting nex records via lightswitch does not really works (you have to specify ID by yourself)

I'm just wondering.
Is there any example from devart available, for a really simplistic LightSwitch application with following basic-every-day actions

*) 1-2 tables with relationship
*) ID-fields in table which would be auto-generated based on sequence --> but not really relying on insert-triggers if possible
*) how to implement the lightswitch roles/users/authentication model also with an oracle DB (which schema, connectionstring, ...)
*) simple deployment to an IIS server via the lightswitch deployment wizard

I think if you provide us with an basic example or really good blog-post or ... it would help a lot of users which want to use/test lightswitch in combination with oracle.

Or if there is already enough info somewhere else --> maybe just combining this info together to make it a lot easier for developer to start with lightswitch and have any feeling if we can really use devart, oracle and lightswitch together.

Greetings and keep up the good work to at least make the new technologies possible, but a little more detailed examples can do magic sometimes.

Fred

[/list]

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Mon 31 Oct 2011 16:17

We will investigate the possibility of creating Lightswitch sample.