Error TypedDataSet and OracleReader

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
degas

Error TypedDataSet and OracleReader

Post by degas » Tue 03 May 2011 17:34

I have the following code that does not work:

Code: Select all

OracleCommand cmd = new OracleCommand("SELECT TO_MAIL, TO_DISPLAY_NAME , ID_MAIL, ID_MAIL_TO, ENVIADO, REINTENTAR, ID_CONTACTO FROM SISTEMA.MAIL_TO");
            cmd.Connection = conn.GetOracleConnection();
            cmd.Connection.Open();
            var reader = cmd.ExecuteReader();          
            this.sistema.MailTo.Load(reader);
            cmd.Connection.Close();
            return sistema.MailTo;
and this one that does work

OracleCommand cmd = new OracleCommand("SELECT TO_MAIL TOMAIL, TO_DISPLAY_NAME TODISPLAYNAME , ID_MAIL IDMAIL, ID_MAIL_TO IDMAILTO, ENVIADO, REINTENTAR, ID_CONTACTO IDCONTACTO FROM SISTEMA.MAIL_TO");
            cmd.Connection = conn.GetOracleConnection();
            cmd.Connection.Open();
            var reader = cmd.ExecuteReader();          
            this.sistema.MailTo.Load(reader);
            cmd.Connection.Close();
            return sistema.MailTo;
the object sistema is a TypedDataSet and MalTo is a TypedDataTable. The problem is that the OracleReader is not using the fieldName in the DataTable and is instead using the FieldNames (wich do not mach the datatable)

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Wed 04 May 2011 15:28

Does behaviour of ODP.NET and System.Data.OracleClient defer in this scenario?

Any DataReader (and OracleDataReader) doesn't rename columns which are returned from database. If your query is "SELECT 1 AS N, 2 AS N, 3 AS N, 4 AS N FROM DUAL", you will get four columns with the "N" name each. If you execute "SELECT 1 AS N1, 2 AS N2, 3 AS N3, 4 AS N4 FROM DUAL", every column will have a unique name (N1,N2,...).

But columns added to DataTable are renamed to keep them unique. DataTableMapping's DataColumnMapping contains a real mapping between database columns and DataTable columns.

If this information does not help, please send us a small test project with the corresponding DDL/DML script to reproduce the issue in our environment.

degas

Post by degas » Wed 04 May 2011 15:47

The problem occurs when creating a TypedDataSet with a DataTable. If the i rename the dataTable columns, then if i want to use a dataReader i have to match the column's name in the SqlCommand to the name of the columns in the DataTable.

If i do not rename the columns in the datatable (so the columns name mach) i can use the data reader without renaming the datacolumns.
In other words i can use

SELECT * FROM TABLE WHERW X=:Y
instead

SELECT COLUMN_1 as COLUMN1, COLUMN_2 as COLUMN2 FROM TABLE WHERW X=:Y
where COLUMN_1 is the name in the Oracle Table and COLUMN1 is the name in the OracleDataTable in the OracleDataSet

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Fri 06 May 2011 13:02

This is a designed behaviour. OracleDataReader retrieves columns names as is in database. If columns in OracleDataTable are renamed, you will get the columns names mismatch as expected. As a solution, please use your approach ("SELECT COLUMN_1 as COLUMN1, ...").