NetworkStream.Read not performing well

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
slaxman

NetworkStream.Read not performing well

Post by slaxman » Sat 30 Apr 2011 23:04

We have performance issues when using dotConnect with Oracle 11g running remote. When the DB server ('Oracle 10g personal edition') runs local, the app. is performing well. One particular scenario we are testing is 13 times slower when the server is remote. dotTrace profiler, as expected is pointing in the right place which is System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[], Int32, Int32) when called by Devart.Data.Oracle.bs.a(Byte[], Int32, Int32) as the most expensive with an avg. of 56ms per call. This seems high. Can you share your thoughts?

We are using Entity Framework with the same object model for both oracle and Sql server. The application when used with SQL Server 2008 does not show this disparity between local and remote instances.

I have a screen capture of the profiling info., showing the callstack if you need to look. I could not attach it to this post but I can email it.

thanks
slaxman

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Tue 03 May 2011 11:34

Please contact us via our contact form and give us the following information:
1. > One particular scenario we are testing is 13 times slower when the server is remote.
Describe your scenario: specify the datatypes you are working with and your approach (ADO.NET, LinqConnect, Entity Framework, etc). Are you using OCI (via Oracle Client) or Direct mode?
2. Your call stack.
3. If possible, send us a small test project with the corresponding DDL/DML script.

slaxman

it may be because of oracle running on VM

Post by slaxman » Tue 03 May 2011 15:40

It seems that the VM we are using to run oracle may be the reason. We still have to verify whether this is the case or not. Moreover, Oracle does not certify their DBs for VM platforms and provides only limited support. If you have any additional info. on this topic please share.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Thu 05 May 2011 05:55

If using VM is not the case, please send us the requested information.