Question on the Express Edition

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
toby

Question on the Express Edition

Post by toby » Sun 24 Apr 2011 09:19

Hi,

I was wondering what can I do with the Express edition?
I tried the following:

1. I installed the trial professional version on Computer A, create edmx by importing tables from Oracle.
2. I installed the express edition on Computer B, and try to run the pre-compiled version of the project from point 1.

The problem is that point 2 doesn't work. I had to install the trial professional version on Computer B for point 2 to work.

Another question is if I'm delivering the product to my customer, does my customer have to purchase any license? If yes, which license should be sufficient?

Thanks,
Toby

Shalex
Site Admin

Re: Question on the Express Edition

Post by Shalex » Tue 26 Apr 2011 07:55

toby wrote:I was wondering what can I do with the Express edition?
I tried the following:

1. I installed the trial professional version on Computer A, create edmx by importing tables from Oracle.
2. I installed the express edition on Computer B, and try to run the pre-compiled version of the project from point 1.

The problem is that point 2 doesn't work. I had to install the trial professional version on Computer B for point 2 to work.
Please refer to http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle/editions.html. The Entity Framework support feature is not available in Express Edition.
toby wrote:Another question is if I'm delivering the product to my customer, does my customer have to purchase any license? If yes, which license should be sufficient?
dotConnect for Oracle license is royalty free. This means you don't need to pay any fee for each copy of your software product that uses our assemblies. For more information about the deployment, refer to http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle ... yment.html.

toby

Post by toby » Tue 26 Apr 2011 08:26

Another question, will the license be valid for a lifetime? Or do I need to renew it annually?

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Tue 26 Apr 2011 08:36

dotConnect for Oracle license is perpetual. The subscription is valid for 1 year only after the purchase. So you can download new versions of dotConnect for Oracle for free during a year. When this period ends, you need to renew your subscription to get access to Registered Users' Area again to download the latest versions. But the already downloaded product versions are not expired.

toby

Post by toby » Wed 27 Apr 2011 03:58

Just curious, let's say that I purchased the Professional Single License. Is it possible to upgrade it to Professional Team License (or the Site License) later? Thank you.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Wed 27 Apr 2011 07:36

Toby, please contact our sales department (sales at devart*com) to get a detailed information about ordering and possible upgrades.