How is the Upgrade Wizard supposed to work?

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
ChadGeidel

How is the Upgrade Wizard supposed to work?

Post by ChadGeidel » Tue 29 Mar 2011 15:04

I'm evaluating the dotConnect for Oracle client for my organization. We are currently using the Microsoft Oracle connector (System.Data.OracleClient) and rely heavily on typed DataSets, DataAdapters, and generated TableAdapters. Of course we have references to the System.Data.OracleClient namespace throughout our project (an ASP.Net web service). We are currently compiling to Framework 2.0 but would like to upgrade to 4.0.

When I ran the upgrade wizard on the entire solution, it indicated that no files needed to be changed ("No need to convert"). This seems a little strange since - as I said - there are references throughout the project.

Just to test it out, I created a simple web service with a few methods and one typed DataSet with TableAdapters. I ran the Upgrade Wizard on that project and I got the same message.

My naive assumption would be that the upgrade wizard would do this:
1) Add the Devart.Data and Devart.Data.Oracle references
2) Do a simple namespace replace
3) Remove the System.Data.OracleClient reference.

Am I misunderstanding how this is supposed to work?

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Wed 30 Mar 2011 07:59

Please use Migration Wizard instead of Upgrade Wizard: http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle ... ation.html.

Upgrade Wizard updates references to the Devart assemblies in the project when you are upgrading your dotConnect for Oracle to the higher version.

ChadGeidel

re:Upgrade Wizard

Post by ChadGeidel » Wed 30 Mar 2011 15:27

Shalex wrote:Please use Migration Wizard instead of Upgrade Wizard: http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle ... ation.html.

Upgrade Wizard updates references to the Devart assemblies in the project when you are upgrading your dotConnect for Oracle to the higher version.
Goodness. I'm blind. I was following that guide, but didn't use the Migration Wizard button. Thank you so much!