Strange problems with Generated Model

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
keithnolan

Strange problems with Generated Model

Post by keithnolan » Fri 25 Mar 2011 15:26

I have a user that has access to one Oracle DB. When I log in using SQL Developer all that user can see is the one DB. When I try to generate a model using your driver for EF I get a list of tables in loads of other DB's.

My next problem is that I select just the tables in the model from the database I am interested in, yet the model is generated with all Tables from other DB schemas even though I haven't selected them.

Thirdly none of my foreign keys are being found.

Any ideas? I'm using the latest trial versiob

Shalex
Site Admin

Re: Strange problems with Generated Model

Post by Shalex » Mon 28 Mar 2011 13:23

keithnolan wrote:I have a user that has access to one Oracle DB. When I log in using SQL Developer all that user can see is the one DB. When I try to generate a model using your driver for EF I get a list of tables in loads of other DB's.
Entity Data Model Wizard (the ADO.NET Entity Data Model template) includes all objects that the database user has access to. The visibility scope is determined by SELECT and EXECUTE grants, system privileges SELECT ANY TABLE and EXECUTE ANY PROCEDURE for both user and his roles.
keithnolan wrote:My next problem is that I select just the tables in the model from the database I am interested in, yet the model is generated with all Tables from other DB schemas even though I haven't selected them.
We have reproduced this issue with EDM Wizard. We will investigate it and notify you about the results.
keithnolan wrote:Thirdly none of my foreign keys are being found.
I have tried the DEPT-EMP FK relation - the corresponding association was generated. If you are interested in using particularly EDM Wizard (not Entity Developer), please send us the DDL script to reproduce the issue in our environment.

2. Generally, Microsoft Entity Data Model Wizard is not adjusted for Oracle: http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle ... izard.html. We recommend using Devart Entity Developer (the Devart Entity Model template) because it is faster and more flexible.

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Mon 04 Apr 2011 16:50

We have fixed the issue with EDM Wizard. The fixed build will be released in a week or so.

keithnolan

Post by keithnolan » Tue 05 Apr 2011 15:02

One other really strange issue I'm having is when I try to connect using a certain user, yet I see the data from an different Oracle database.

When I just try to use the server explorer and connect I see the correct DB using your driver, when I take the connection string and paste it as the ConnectionString to use with EF I see different Data. The really weird thing is that if I change the structure of the correct DB it EF notices the change. It's like the Data is coming from one place and the structure from somewhere else.

keithnolan

Post by keithnolan » Wed 06 Apr 2011 08:48

I was slightly incorrect in what I said in my previous post. The structure and data are coming from the same DB, however they are the wrong DB.

It's bizarre that EF picks data from DB when Server explorer picks it from another using the exact same connection string.

I'd really like an answer on this as we are close to purchasing the product but obviously need to make sure we can get pass issues like this before proceeding.

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Wed 06 Apr 2011 11:57

The reason if the fact that EDM Wizard does not contain filtering possibilities, and user you are connecting with has privileges to select a large number of objects from other schemas.
You can either use Entity Developer (add a new Devart Entity Model to your project, it provides the same functionality, but a more convenient designer), or edit the grants for the existing user (as an alternative, create a new user having SELECT privilege only for necessary objects).
I recommend you to visit our UserVoice and vote for suggestions (you can create your own as well). There is a suggestion concerning EDM Wizard filtering, for example.

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Thu 07 Apr 2011 13:12

The new build of dotConnect for Oracle 6.10.135 is available for download now. This build fixes the problem with adding the unnecessary objects to the model. However, the EDM Wizard will still show all objects that it is capable of.
It can be downloaded from Download Page (trial version) or from Registered Users' Area (for users with valid subscription only).
For more information, please refer to this post.

keithnolan

Post by keithnolan » Thu 07 Apr 2011 14:57

I need to use the MS EF as my system can be deployed to either SQL server or Oracle. Both MS SQL and Oracle share a common conceptual model but have separate ssdl's.

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Fri 08 Apr 2011 09:07

Please let me know if any of the problems persist in the new build.
Note that the large number of the DB objects in the EDM Wizard is not a problem, it's a designed behaviour at the moment.