Dot Connect Oracle Mobile: Invalid SID error

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
fraricce

Dot Connect Oracle Mobile: Invalid SID error

Post by fraricce » Tue 04 Jan 2011 10:44

Hi,
I'm evaluating the trial version of Mobile Dot Connect for Oracle.
My need is to create an application for the Compact Framework able to connect to a remote Oracle Database.

While opening the connection, I get this exception: NET: Invalid SID.

(I have no problem if I use another client e.g. SQLDeveloper)

Do you have any idea?

Thanks in advance.

Francesco Ricceri
Microarea SpA
Genoa Italy

StanislavK
Devart Team

Post by StanislavK » Tue 04 Jan 2011 15:12

Such problem may occur if SID and service_name differ for the Oracle server you are trying to connect to. If they do, please ensure that you are using SID, not service_name. For more information about SID and service_name, please refer to
http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread. ... dID=280913

fraricce

Problem update.

Post by fraricce » Fri 07 Jan 2011 15:08

Thanks Stanislav,
I've checked the server configuration and I've set the SID in the way you suggested. Now it seems to work.
I say "seems" because another problem happens: the same code works good in a Windows CE 5.x device, and doesn't work in a Windows Mobile 6.0 device.

So... my question is: can the devart connect for mobile behave differently from Win CE to Win Mobile? Or, maybe the Mobile device could hold a cached version of the library?

Thank you!

Best regards.

Francesco Ricceri

fraricce

Problem details

Post by fraricce » Fri 07 Jan 2011 15:23

Sorry.. I forgot to specify more details for the issue in my last post. The problem is the same, Invalid SID.

I have to tell you that when I open the NetManager in my Oracle server, I can't specify both SID and Service Name. I can choose one only, so I can't exactly reproduce what you say (the problem may occurs when SID differ from ServiceName).

Thanks a lot.

Francesco Ricceri.

StanislavK
Devart Team

Post by StanislavK » Mon 10 Jan 2011 16:02

Could you please specify the following:
- the connection string (at least approximate) you are using for both devices;
- the exact message and stack trace of the exception you are getting;
- the description of the Oracle server you are connecting to (e.g., the entry from the tnsnames.ora file of the client with which you are able to connect to the server).