dotConnect for Oracle Random "License not found" problem

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
mas

dotConnect for Oracle Random "License not found" problem

Post by mas » Fri 26 Nov 2010 13:02

We have a site license for the Professional Edition of dotConnector for Oracle, and we have been seeing an intermittent problem with a "License not found" exception. We are using version 5.70.170.

We are developing IIS hosted WCF Service and Workflow applications where database access is performed through Entity Framework 4.

Sometimes, we see a problem where database access fails because of the following exception:
System.Data.EntityException: The underlying provider failed on Open. ---> Devart.Data.Oracle.OracleException: License not found. Please view "Licensing" topic in dotConnect for Oracle documentation for details or contact Devart technical support.
at Devart.Data.Oracle.OracleConnection.Open()
at System.Data.EntityClient.EntityConnection.OpenStoreConnectionIf(Boolean openCondition, DbConnection storeConnectionToOpen, DbConnection originalConnection, String exceptionCode, String attemptedOperation, Boolean& closeStoreConnectionOnFailure)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Data.EntityClient.EntityConnection.OpenStoreConnectionIf(Boolean openCondition, DbConnection storeConnectionToOpen, DbConnection originalConnection, String exceptionCode, String attemptedOperation, Boolean& closeStoreConnectionOnFailure)
at System.Data.EntityClient.EntityConnection.Open()
at System.Data.Objects.ObjectContext.EnsureConnection()
at System.Data.Objects.ObjectQuery`1.GetResults(Nullable`1 forMergeOption)
at System.Data.Objects.ObjectQuery`1.System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable.GetEnumerator()
Once we get this exception, every attempt to access the database fails with this exception. We are able to get it work work again if we force the IIS Worker Process to recycle. For example, by copying a DLL into the Web App dir and then deleting it.

According to the Devart website, our site license grants us "unlimited number of developers within a single company at one physical address". Therefore, I think we do not have a licensing issue.
Last edited by mas on Fri 10 Dec 2010 15:40, edited 1 time in total.

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Fri 26 Nov 2010 16:55

Have you added a license to the project like it is described here?

mas

Post by mas » Mon 29 Nov 2010 08:50

Ah, we haven't done this yet. I hope this fixes our problem.

Just one thing about the instructions on the page. The following line is confusing, as there is no context as to where to find the menu:
To invoke the wizard choose Tools | Oracle | License Information menu item.
Ok, but from which app? Entity Developer?
I eventually figured out that this instruction refers to the menu inside of Visual Studio. I think the instructions should be clearer on this point.

mas

Post by mas » Mon 29 Nov 2010 09:00

In the case for IIS Hosted WCF Service Applications, do I need to add w3wp.exe to the executable list?

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Mon 29 Nov 2010 14:51

In web projects you should only generate App_Licenses.dll, there is no need to license each application using the service.
Please notify us in case anything goes wrong.

mas

Post by mas » Fri 10 Dec 2010 15:36

I forgot to mention, in the original case, the license problem popped up on a test server which had the Devart dotConnect for Oracle installed. In this case, the should not be required to be compiled into the binaries right?

The reason why I'm confused by this licensing error is that it happens randomly and intermittently. I would expect that this license problem should show up (or not show up) consistently. This leads me to believe that there might be a bug in the libraries.

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Mon 13 Dec 2010 17:14

Could you please create a small sample reproducing the problem?
Send the sample to support * devart * com, subject "Workflow licensing".

mas

Post by mas » Fri 07 Jan 2011 08:39

I added the licenses.licx to my projects, and I no longer see the error.