.net cf OracleDataReader.GetSchemaTable()

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
Alex56

.net cf OracleDataReader.GetSchemaTable()

Post by Alex56 » Mon 25 Oct 2010 16:03

I am working with Oracle 11g database from a mobile device. I noticed that when I create reader against a table on the server and get schema for that table via

Code: Select all

OracleDataReader.GetSchemaTable()
the schema table never has primary key column, ["IsKey"], set to true. However, if I get schema on the same table via
OracleDataTable.GetSchemaTable()
it does get PK correctly.

Has anyone experienced the same issue ?

Shalex
Site Admin

Re: .net cf OracleDataReader.GetSchemaTable()

Post by Shalex » Wed 27 Oct 2010 17:27

Alex56 wrote:I am working with Oracle 11g database from a mobile device. I noticed that when I create reader against a table on the server and get schema for that table via

the schema table never has primary key column, ["IsKey"], set to true.
Standard .NET Framework providers (OracleClient, ODP.NET) show the same behaviour. We will investigate this issue and notify you about the results.
Alex56 wrote:However, if I get schema on the same table via

it does get PK correctly.
Devart.Data.Oracle.OracleDataTable doesn't have public GetSchemaTable() method. Please correct your sample. Do you mean OracleDataTable.WriteXmlSchema()?

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Fri 29 Oct 2010 09:20

This is a designed behaviour. To get the primary key information, including whether a field is a part of a primary key and whether it is an AutoIncrement field, you should set the CommandBehavior.KeyInfo parameter of the OracleCommand.ExecuteReader() method when getting your data reader: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310107. We will add this info to our documentation.

OracleDataReader reader = cmd.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior.KeyInfo);
    DataTable table = reader.GetSchemaTable();
Probably you meant the OracleDataTable.SchemaTable property. OracleDataTable always requests the PK info on its opening. This explains the result you have got.

Alex56

Post by Alex56 » Fri 29 Oct 2010 17:11

Thank you for the explanation.

On #1 Yes, the ExecuteReader() either takes no arguments or enum System.Data.CommandBehavior.
I just tested that and with CommandBehaviou = CommandBehavior.KeyInfo and was able to get successfully the information I needed.

On #2 You are correct, I meant the property SchemaTable of the OracleDataTable object.