Deployment issue on Win 2008 64-bit server

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
slaxman

Deployment issue on Win 2008 64-bit server

Post by slaxman » Thu 22 Jul 2010 16:31

I tried to deploy the assemblies locally by following the steps under 'Deployment' help section. Here is what I did.

1. Copied the files 'Devart.Data.dll', 'Devart.Data.Oracle.dll' and 'Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity.dll' to my app. folder
2. Adde this in the app.config file

I got the entity exception 'The underlying provider failed on Open'. Then I installed the 'dotconnect for Oracle' from installer to register just the runtime assemblies in GAC. that worked.

The real puzzle is that the original error went away after I uninstalled 'dotConnect for Oracle'. This tells me that something happened during install that did not get reverted during uninstall. I am glad that it is working but I would really like to know the mystery so I can deploy as Local on 64 bit servers without using the installer.

StanislavK
Devart Team

Post by StanislavK » Fri 23 Jul 2010 15:13

The exception specified is a wrapper and can tell about different problems. Please check the inner exception to determine the exact problem that occurred. For example, you could get this error when the server was unavailable. Another possible reason is the lack of technical license. Please check that your project has it; for details on licensing applications that use dotConnect for Oracle, please see the corresponding topic of our documentation:
http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle ... nsing.html

Please tell us if this helps.

slaxman

probably the licensing issue

Post by slaxman » Fri 23 Jul 2010 16:48

You are right. The inner exception was not shown in the call stack which could have revealed details. My suspicion is the licensing and I will look into it.

thanks
Saravanan

StanislavK
Devart Team

Post by StanislavK » Mon 26 Jul 2010 10:18

JIC: you can attach to your application ( the Tools -> 'Attach to Process' item of the Visual Studio main menu) by an instance of Visual Studio and try to catch the exception to check the inner one.

slaxman

here is the latest on this

Post by slaxman » Fri 27 Aug 2010 19:45

I've followed the steps outlined in your licensing help doc. under section 'Class Libraries Support' by creating licenses.licx and licenses.config files. I now get the exception
---
(Devart.Data.Oracle.OracleException): License not valid due to the problems with dotConnect for Oracle installation

I am trying to deploy Devart assemblies locally without installing 'dotConnect for Oracle'. any ideas?

thanks
slaxman

StanislavK
Devart Team

Post by StanislavK » Mon 30 Aug 2010 17:03

Such problem may occur, e.g., if your application is licensed for the version of dotConnect for Oracle different from the version of the assemblies you are deploying. Please check if the version number specified in the licenses.licx file coincides with the version of Devart.Data.Oracle.dll.

Also, it is possible that the assemblies you are deploying are trial whereas the license resource is compiled with the registered version, or vice versa.

To resolve the problem, please try deploying the assemblies from Program Files\Devart\dotConnect\Oracle.

If the problem persists, please send us a small test project with which the problem can be reproduced so that we are able to investigate the problem in details.

slaxman

what if my project does not reference Devart files?

Post by slaxman » Mon 30 Aug 2010 17:21

There is no version in my licenses.licx file. Can you tell me whether the Devart.* assemblies have to be referenced in my project for licensing to get embedded? I am using EF and do not have to reference them in the project.

StanislavK
Devart Team

Post by StanislavK » Tue 31 Aug 2010 12:06

Actually, they should, as otherwise the Devart.Data.Oracle.OracleConnection class won't be resolved. But the error message you are receiving specifies that there is a license resource in your application, but it is invalid. You can manually check that the license resource was embedded into the executable by seeking in it the line specified in licenses.licx.

Please specify the version of dotConnect for Oracle you are using, and whether dotConnect for Oracle was ever installed on the target machine. If it was, please check that there are no Devart.* and policy.*.Devart.* files in the GAC of the target machine.

Also, please replace the assemblies you are deploying with the ones from Program Files\Devart\dotConnect\Oracle. If possible, please send us a test project and/or the compiled binary so that we are able to investigate the issue in details.

slaxman

working now

Post by slaxman » Mon 13 Sep 2010 22:28

with all your checklists satisfied, it is working now. thanks