ASP.NET Oracle Provider fails on app login

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
gdexter

Post by gdexter » Thu 03 Jun 2010 19:54

I have created a Web Application that is using the AspNetOracleMembershipProvider. Everything works on the development machine. When I deployed the application to the Production Server the login control fails with the following error:

An exception occurred. Please contact your administrator.
at Devart.Common.Web.Providers.DbMembershipProvider.a(String A_0)
at Devart.Common.Web.Providers.DbMembershipProvider.a(String A_0, String A_1)
at Devart.Common.Web.Providers.DbMembershipProvider.ValidateUser(String username, String password)
at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.AuthenticateUsingMembershipProvider(AuthenticateEventArgs e)
at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.OnAuthenticate(AuthenticateEventArgs e)
at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.AttemptLogin()
at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.OnBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs e)
at System.Web.UI.Control.RaiseBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs args)
at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnCommand(CommandEventArgs e)
at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)
at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)
at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument)
at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData)
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

I have included all of the required dll's in the Bin folder but I am unable to have any success on login.

StanislavK
Devart Team

Post by StanislavK » Fri 04 Jun 2010 14:01

Please specify the versions of .NET Framework and dotConnect for Oracle you are using. Also, please check under debug whether the exception has an inner one. If yes, please tell us its exact message.

If possible, please send us a sample project with which the problem can be reproduced.

gdexter

Post by gdexter » Fri 04 Jun 2010 14:50

I was able to get this Exception to disappear by fixing the App_Licenses.dll file.

However now authentication is not working. On my development machine the user can be authenticated without a problem. On the Production machine i keep getting "The password was incorrect". There is only one Oracle Database and both development and production machine are both pointing to the same Oracle connection. I am not sure why the it is not working on the production server.

I checked the MEMBERSHIP table after the failed login and noticed that the column is not being updated after the login fails, which i guess means that it is never getting to that point.

I also added an event handler for the LoginError Event in which i call

Code: Select all

MembershipUser userInfo = Membership.GetUser(this.LoginPSD.UserName);

if (userInfo == null)
            {
                this.LoginPSD.FailureText = "No user name found for " + this.LoginPSD.UserName;
            }
            else
            {
                this.LoginPSD.FailureText = string.Format("{0}, {1}, {2}", userInfo.UserName, userInfo.Email, userInfo.ProviderName);
            }
The call to Membership.GetUser returns a null value on the production server which is pointing to the same Oracle database as the Development Machine (which works fine) any ideas
Framework .Net 3.5
IIS 6.0
Oracle 10g

gdexter

Post by gdexter » Fri 04 Jun 2010 17:41

Nevermind it was the fact that the application name was not configured correctly in the USERS table.

StanislavK
Devart Team

Post by StanislavK » Mon 07 Jun 2010 07:14

Glad to see that the problem was resolved.