RIA + SL4 + dotConnect (asp.net membership) -> license?

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
Joost Van Gansbeke

RIA + SL4 + dotConnect (asp.net membership) -> license?

Post by Joost Van Gansbeke » Thu 06 May 2010 14:00

When I start my brand new RIA/Silverlight 4 project in Visual Studio 2010 everything works fine. After I deployed it to an IIS 7 (2008 x86) and try to start the same application I get : Load operation failed for query 'Login'. License not found. Please view "Licensing" topic in dotConnect for Oracle documentation for details or contact Devart technical support.

I have recently bought a dotConnect for Oracle Developer license.
What should I do?

Kind regards,
Joost Van Gansbeke

StanislavK
Devart Team

Post by StanislavK » Fri 07 May 2010 12:05

The problem is caused by the absense of the dotConnect for Oracle license resource in the application. This is not the same as the license that allows to use dotConnect for Oracle, which you've obtained after registration. For detailed information on our technical licensing, please see the Licensing and Deployment topics of our documentation:
http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle ... nsing.html
http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle ... yment.html

Joost Van Gansbeke

Post by Joost Van Gansbeke » Fri 07 May 2010 15:24

Hello again,

Thanks for your reply.

In the manual you mention Winforms and ASP.Net pages.
- Winforms : I cannot use this obviously.
- ASP.Net : I do not get the "Build Runtime Licenses" command in the licenses.licx context menu in the Solution Explorer view. So, I'm stuck there also.

Any ideas?

Again, I'm using a Silverlight Business Application using Visual Studio 2010.

Regards,
Joost

StanislavK
Devart Team

Post by StanislavK » Tue 11 May 2010 12:13

Please try adding the license resource using the license wizard (the Tools -> Oracle -> License Information item in the Visual Studio main menu). Please tell us if you are encountering any problems with this.

To use the "Build Runtime Licenses" command you should open the solution as a web site (File -> Open -> Web Site in the Visual Studio main menu) and place the licenses.licx file to the root folder of the site.

Joost Van Gansbeke

Post by Joost Van Gansbeke » Wed 12 May 2010 08:57

Please try adding the license resource using the license wizard (the Tools -> Oracle -> License Information item in the Visual Studio main menu). Please tell us if you are encountering any problems with this.
So I have a SVL frontend and a RIA WCF Service (Web) backend. The Silverlight frontend does not need a license, because it is not referenced to Devart.Data.Oracle.

The WCF Service (Web) has 2 errors:

1. The library has a reference to Devart.Data.Oracle but cannot check if the library is added by an additional executable. I can press "FIX" but then I have to point to allowed executables. I guess I cannot do this.

2. The compiled module does not have license information.
No "FIX" here.

To use the "Build Runtime Licenses" command you should open the solution as a web site (File -> Open -> Web Site in the Visual Studio main menu) and place the licenses.licx file to the root folder of the site.
I opened the RIA WCF Service (Web) as a website (not the solution), added a text file licenses.licx with "Devart.Data.Oracle.OracleConnection, Devart.Data.Oracle" in it and could "Build Runtime Licenses".

Doing this in my bin folder the App_Licenses.dll was created. Together with the other Devart dll's I included it in the "Output folder" and rebuilt the deployment package. In IIS I have no problems regarding licenses anymore. Thanks Devart for the support. Installing the whole dotConnect installation package onto the server also works, thanks Carsten for that hint.

New problem now : my application (on IIS) does not connect to the SQL Server (ASPNETDB) which is on a different server. Locally it worked without any problem.. as usual. It says user/pass not correct, but in fact it never reaches the SQL Server itself.

Someone?

Regards,
Joost Van Gansbeke

Joost Van Gansbeke

Post by Joost Van Gansbeke » Wed 12 May 2010 15:17

The error is again Devart related. :( If I try to navigate to my generated DomainService (as mentioned here : http://blogs.msdn.com/saurabh/archive/2 ... yment.aspx) , I get this error.

Schema specified is not valid. Errors:
OracleModel.ssdl(2,82) : error 0175: The specified store provider cannot be found in the configuration, or is not valid.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.MetadataException: Schema specified is not valid. Errors:
OracleModel.ssdl(2,82) : error 0175: The specified store provider cannot be found in the configuration, or is not valid.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[MetadataException: Schema specified is not valid. Errors:
OracleModel.ssdl(2,82) : error 0175: The specified store provider cannot be found in the configuration, or is not valid.]
System.Data.Metadata.Edm.Loader.ThrowOnNonWarningErrors() +44
System.Data.Metadata.Edm.Loader.LoadItems(IEnumerable`1 xmlReaders, IEnumerable`1 sourceFilePaths) +182
System.Data.Metadata.Edm.StoreItemCollection.Init(IEnumerable`1 xmlReaders, IEnumerable`1 filePaths, Boolean throwOnError, DbProviderManifest& providerManifest, DbProviderFactory& providerFactory, String& providerManifestToken, Memoizer`2& cachedCTypeFunction) +201
System.Data.Metadata.Edm.StoreItemCollection..ctor(String[] filePaths) +405
System.Data.Mapping.MetadataWorkspaceUtilities.CreateMetadataWorkspace(Type contextType) +321
System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.EntityFramework.LinqToEntitiesDomainServiceDescriptionProvider.LookupIsEntityType(Type type) +25
System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Server.c__DisplayClasse.b__b(DomainServiceDescriptionProvider p) +17
System.Linq.Enumerable.Any(IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 predicate) +151
System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Server.c__DisplayClassc.b__a(Type t) +83
System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Server.DomainServiceDescriptionProvider.IsEntityType(Type type) +44
System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Server.ReflectionDomainServiceDescriptionProvider.IsCustomMethod(ReflectionDomainOperationEntry operation) +147
System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Server.ReflectionDomainServiceDescriptionProvider.TryClassifyImplicitDomainOperation(ReflectionDomainOperationEntry operation) +294
System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Server.ReflectionDomainServiceDescriptionProvider.ClassifyDomainOperation(ReflectionDomainOperationEntry operation) +357
System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Server.ReflectionDomainServiceDescriptionProvider.GetDescription() +382
System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Server.DomainServiceDescriptionProvider.GetDescription() +23
System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Server.DomainServiceDescription.CreateDescription(Type domainServiceType) +46
System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Server.c__DisplayClass8.b__7(Type type) +9
System.Collections.Concurrent.ConcurrentDictionary`2.GetOrAdd(TKey key, Func`2 valueFactory) +72
System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Server.DomainServiceDescription.GetDescription(Type domainServiceType) +196
System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Hosting.DomainServiceHost..ctor(Type domainServiceType, Uri[] baseAddresses) +263
System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Hosting.DomainServiceHostFactory.CreateServiceHost(Type serviceType, Uri[] baseAddresses) +28
System.ServiceModel.Activation.ServiceHostFactory.CreateServiceHost(String constructorString, Uri[] baseAddresses) +420
System.ServiceModel.HostingManager.CreateService(String normalizedVirtualPath) +1440
System.ServiceModel.HostingManager.ActivateService(String normalizedVirtualPath) +44
System.ServiceModel.HostingManager.EnsureServiceAvailable(String normalizedVirtualPath) +615

[ServiceActivationException: The service '/WebApps/Services/WebAppsDotNetRia-Web-Services-OracleDomainService.svc' cannot be activated due to an exception during compilation. The exception message is: Schema specified is not valid. Errors:
OracleModel.ssdl(2,82) : error 0175: The specified store provider cannot be found in the configuration, or is not valid..]
System.Runtime.AsyncResult.End(IAsyncResult result) +679246
System.ServiceModel.Activation.HostedHttpRequestAsyncResult.End(IAsyncResult result) +190
System.ServiceModel.Activation.ServiceHttpHandler.EndProcessRequest(IAsyncResult result) +6
System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.OnAsyncHandlerCompletion(IAsyncResult ar) +96

Again, please some help.. I am getting desperate here.

Regards,
Joost Van Gansbeke

Joost Van Gansbeke

Post by Joost Van Gansbeke » Wed 12 May 2010 15:21

If I look into the OracleModel.ssdl I see this.

. . .

Joost Van Gansbeke

Post by Joost Van Gansbeke » Wed 12 May 2010 15:32

In my web.config, just abobe the web.config section I put this.

And now I get an other exception.. I think we 're getting somewhere now.

[MetadataException: Schema specified is not valid. Errors:
OracleModel.ssdl(2,82) : error 0004: Could not load file or assembly 'Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity, Version=5.60.124.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=09af7300eec23701' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.]
System.Data.Metadata.Edm.Loader.ThrowOnNonWarningErrors() +44
System.Data.Metadata.Edm.Loader.LoadItems(IEnumerable`1 xmlReaders, IEnumerable`1 sourceFilePaths) +182
System.Data.Metadata.Edm.StoreItemCollection.Init(IEnumerable`1 xmlReaders, IEnumerable`1 filePaths, Boolean throwOnError, DbProviderManifest& providerManifest, DbProviderFactory& providerFactory, String& providerManifestToken, Memoizer`2& cachedCTypeFunction) +201
System.Data.Metadata.Edm.StoreItemCollection..ctor(String[] filePaths) +405
System.Data.Mapping.MetadataWorkspaceUtilities.CreateMetadataWorkspace(Type contextType) +321
System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.EntityFramework.LinqToEntitiesDomainServiceDescriptionProvider.LookupIsEntityType(Type type) +25
System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Server.c__DisplayClasse.b__b(DomainServiceDescriptionProvider p) +17
System.Linq.Enumerable.Any(IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 predicate) +151
System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Server.c__DisplayClassc.b__a(Type t) +83
System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Server.DomainServiceDescriptionProvider.IsEntityType(Type type) +44
System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Server.ReflectionDomainServiceDescriptionProvider.IsCustomMethod(ReflectionDomainOperationEntry operation) +147
System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Server.ReflectionDomainServiceDescriptionProvider.TryClassifyImplicitDomainOperation(ReflectionDomainOperationEntry operation) +294
System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Server.ReflectionDomainServiceDescriptionProvider.ClassifyDomainOperation(ReflectionDomainOperationEntry operation) +357
System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Server.ReflectionDomainServiceDescriptionProvider.GetDescription() +382
System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Server.DomainServiceDescriptionProvider.GetDescription() +23
System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Server.DomainServiceDescription.CreateDescription(Type domainServiceType) +46
System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Server.c__DisplayClass8.b__7(Type type) +9
System.Collections.Concurrent.ConcurrentDictionary`2.GetOrAdd(TKey key, Func`2 valueFactory) +72
System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Server.DomainServiceDescription.GetDescription(Type domainServiceType) +196
System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Hosting.DomainServiceHost..ctor(Type domainServiceType, Uri[] baseAddresses) +263
System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Hosting.DomainServiceHostFactory.CreateServiceHost(Type serviceType, Uri[] baseAddresses) +28
System.ServiceModel.Activation.ServiceHostFactory.CreateServiceHost(String constructorString, Uri[] baseAddresses) +420
System.ServiceModel.HostingManager.CreateService(String normalizedVirtualPath) +1440
System.ServiceModel.HostingManager.ActivateService(String normalizedVirtualPath) +44
System.ServiceModel.HostingManager.EnsureServiceAvailable(String normalizedVirtualPath) +615

[ServiceActivationException: The service '/WebApps/Services/WebAppsDotNetRia-Web-Services-OracleDomainService.svc' cannot be activated due to an exception during compilation. The exception message is: Schema specified is not valid. Errors:
OracleModel.ssdl(2,82) : error 0004: Could not load file or assembly 'Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity, Version=5.60.124.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=09af7300eec23701' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified..]
System.Runtime.AsyncResult.End(IAsyncResult result) +679246
System.ServiceModel.Activation.HostedHttpRequestAsyncResult.End(IAsyncResult result) +190
System.ServiceModel.Activation.ServiceHttpHandler.EndProcessRequest(IAsyncResult result) +6
System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.OnAsyncHandlerCompletion(IAsyncResult ar) +96

So, I added Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity as a reference to my RIA WCF project, did a rebuild and after republish my WCF service shows up on the IIS server.

So far so good.. altough I still cannot log in: The user name or password is incorrect. Still... :o

Joost Van Gansbeke

Post by Joost Van Gansbeke » Wed 12 May 2010 15:44

I can see a connection on my Oracle server... but the user/pass is rejected. As mentioned earlier I'm using Devart for Membership on Oracle.. can it be the project name has changed while installing it on IIS?

StanislavK
Devart Team

Post by StanislavK » Fri 14 May 2010 13:20

By "Devart for Membership on Oracle", do you mean the dotConnect for Oracle ASP.NET Membership provider? If yes, please see the following topic:
http://www.devart.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17508
In this case, the problem is caused by the fact that the default hash algorithm was changed in .NET Framework 4.0. The fix of the problem will be available in the nearest build of dotConnect for Oracle.

Otherwise, please describe the scenario in which you are encountering the problem in more details, i.e., specify how you are establishing a connection, its parameters (please check that the "Persist Security Info" parameter is set to true), and the version of the database you are connecting to.

Joost Van Gansbeke

Post by Joost Van Gansbeke » Mon 17 May 2010 10:02

When I trie to create a new user in the ASP.Net Web Site Administration Tool I get this error :

"An error was encountered. Please return to the previous page and try again.

The following message may help in diagnosing the problem: Unknown connection string parameter . at Devart.Common.j.a(Hashtable A_0) at Devart.Common.j..ctor(String A_0, Hashtable A_1, Boolean A_2) at Devart.Data.Oracle.v..ctor(String A_0) at Devart.Data.Oracle.b1.a(String A_0, j A_1) at Devart.Common.DbConnectionFactory.a(String A_0, j& A_1) at Devart.Common.DbConnectionBase.set_ConnectionString(String value) at Devart.Common.Web.Providers.DbMembershipProvider.a() at Devart.Common.Web.Providers.DbMembershipProvider.Initialize(String name, NameValueCollection config) at System.Web.Configuration.ProvidersHelper.InstantiateProvider(ProviderSettings providerSettings, Type providerType) "

In my web.config I have this information:

I did work before, I created several users before.. however with previous dotConnect for Oracle version?

- VS2010 RTM
- dotConnect 5.60.124.0

Regards,
Joost Van Gansbeke

Joost Van Gansbeke

Post by Joost Van Gansbeke » Mon 17 May 2010 10:05

Also, here's the connection string.

Regards,
Joost

Joost Van Gansbeke

Post by Joost Van Gansbeke » Mon 17 May 2010 10:11

Have some more debug info using Fiddler.

1. from develop machine (Visual Studio 2010 installed)

asp
false

asp

asp

4ae2485b-cdec-2048-a495-8c35112f58df

2. from iis server

asp
false

Any ideas?

Regards,
Joost

StanislavK
Devart Team

Post by StanislavK » Tue 18 May 2010 14:11

Please try removing all providers from the membership.providers node of machine.config. If the problem persists, please send us a small test project with which the problem can be reproduced.

Joost Van Gansbeke

Post by Joost Van Gansbeke » Wed 19 May 2010 13:57

I found it, at last! :o

Thanks to Fiddler I knew for sure the problem wasn't my Oracle DomainService but the AuthenticationService. Both were running(*) but the second one was not accepting the user login.

(*) Thank you Tim Heuer for this (http://timheuer.com/blog/archive/2009/1 ... shoot.aspx)

However, the problem was not related to the HashAlgorithmType. In fact there is a much more simpler explanation. On my develop machine (using Casini) the solution has a different name than the website is named on the IIS server.

To get the login to work, all I had to do was updating the application name to '/WebsiteName' in table aspnet_users.

Finally, it runs on my IIS server.

Thanks for all the work you guys have put into this. I won 't forget it.

PS: Am running final IIS7 + RIA Services v1.0 (RTM) + dotConnect for Oracle 5.60.124.0 (membership + entity framework).

Best regards,
Joost Van Gansbeke