PreSales Questions for dotConnect for Oracle

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
[email protected]

PreSales Questions for dotConnect for Oracle

Post by [email protected] » Tue 27 Apr 2010 17:34

Thinking about buying dotConnect for Oracle to allow some portability between our development machines running Windows 7 64bit and production servers running 32bit Windows 2003.

Ideally so that we don't have to retrofit our existing code out of cycle. It'd be great if the dotConnect could be plugged in as alternate provider without making use of the rest of the dotConnect framework.

Is this possible? Could I install dotConnect, then update my connection strings and go? Or would our data layers need to be rebuilt with dotConnect in mind.

StanislavK
Devart Team

Post by StanislavK » Wed 28 Apr 2010 10:20

This depends on the structure of your application. Generally, it will be necessary to change assembly names and references from your current provider to dotConnect for Oracle. If you are using MS OracleClient or ODP.NET now, this can be done using our Migration Wizard:
http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle ... ation.html

Feel free to contact us if something is unclear.

[email protected]

Migration

Post by [email protected] » Tue 18 May 2010 14:19

OK so I downloaded your trial and ran the migration wizard but I can't tell what it did. Running the wizard didn't check any files out of source control so IDE doesn't recognize that anything has changed.

Also this is a class library project. Where do I set the OracleUtils.OracleClientCompatible to true?

StanislavK
Devart Team

Post by StanislavK » Thu 20 May 2010 09:10

Migration Wizard should tune your application to use the Devart components instead of the OracleClient ones. For example, the assembly references and 'using' statements should be changed. If no changes were made, please specify the messages you've received using the wizard and, if possible, send us a test project with which the issue can be reproduced.

The OracleUtils.OracleClientCompatible property should be set before any dotConnect for Oracle method is called. The exact place depends on the structure of your library.