Unknown connection string parameter

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
RobIntechnica

Unknown connection string parameter

Post by RobIntechnica » Thu 08 Apr 2010 09:01

Hi

This is for a ASP.NET 3.5 project which works fine on my machine, but another developer is trying to run the project from IIS on their machine and gets the following error:-
Configuration Error
Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Unknown connection string parameter .

Source Error:

Line 167: minRequiredPasswordLength="7" minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="1"
Line 168: passwordAttemptWindow="10" passwordStrengthRegularExpression="" />
Line 169: <add name="AspNetOracleMembershipProvider" type="Devart.Data.Oracle.Web.Providers.OracleMembershipProvider, Devart.Data.Oracle.Web, Version=5.60.120.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=09af7300eec23701"
Line 170: description="dotConnect for Oracle membership provider" connectionStringName="OracleServices"
Line 171: enablePasswordRetrieval="false" enablePasswordReset="true" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="true"

Source File: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Config\machine.config Line: 169

Anything to check?

Thanks

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Fri 09 Apr 2010 16:20

Did you define the OracleServices connection string in the web.config file of your web application or in \WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\CONFIG\machine.config? It should be in web.config. Please add the section before defining the in the section of your web.config to override the global setting. If it doesn't help, please post here the connection string that is used by your colleague (hide the values of your credentials with asterisks).

RobIntechnica

Post by RobIntechnica » Wed 19 May 2010 09:20

Thanks, my colleague managed to solve that error by uninstalling and then installing a different version of dotConnect, but we recently got the error on a new server we were going to use dotConnect with.

This time, having looked at the problem in more detail, have realised that the error is because of the AspNetOracleMembershipProvider which we don't actually make use of so have just commented the add line out of machine.config to make it work.

Just wondering why does the installer add this line by default to assume you want to use a membership provider? Thanks.

RobIntechnica

Post by RobIntechnica » Thu 20 May 2010 10:01

in web.config solves it too.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Thu 20 May 2010 17:05

You can also use the element in the section in the case when several Devart membership providers are registered in machine.config. We will investigate the issue with the ASP.NET providers registration in machine.config.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Fri 21 May 2010 08:24

We have fixed the issue with the membership providers. Currently connection is opened on initializating the membership provider nevertheless provider is used or not. Connection will not be opened starting from the next build. I will post here when the appropriate build is available for download.

StanislavK
Devart Team

Post by StanislavK » Tue 25 May 2010 07:44

We have released the new 5.70.140 build of dotConnect for Oracle. It can be downloaded from
http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle/download.html
(the trial version) or from Registered Users' Area (for users with active subscription only):
http://secure.devart.com/

The new build contains fix for the problem with membership provider. For more information on fixes and improvements available in version 5.70.140, please see
http://www.devart.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18028

goethals.f

Post by goethals.f » Tue 08 Jun 2010 07:55

StanislavK wrote:We have released the new 5.70.140 build of dotConnect for Oracle. It can be downloaded from
http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle/download.html
(the trial version) or from Registered Users' Area (for users with active subscription only):
http://secure.devart.com/

The new build contains fix for the problem with membership provider. For more information on fixes and improvements available in version 5.70.140, please see
http://www.devart.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18028
Hello,

I have come accross the same problem, and I am already using the last dotconnect v5.70.140.0

I use the ASP.NET memberprovidership but connected to SQL (didn't know I could use oracle for that btw). So no oracle connection (not for roles, not for the data is used)

But in my machin.config I still have the following lines:

MACHINE.CONFIG code

Code: Select all

And when I acces the ASP.NET config site from within VS.NET 2008, and try to add new users, I got an error logged (see at the end of post) in the event log which points to an unknown connection parameter.

Remark: adding new roles through the admin-website works without errors !!!, it happens only when creating new users

Unknown connection string parameter . (C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Config\machine.config line 163)

When I put the "AspNetOracleMembershipProvider" in comments in machine.config, everythings works fine again.

Is there something wrong in my machine.config, because I use version v5.70.140 already and there the problem should be solved ?

In my web.config I have the following info.
I have taken the code from an example, and It works. Maybe the problem is because I first "clear" the providers and then "add" a totally new one configured in web.config, and make no use of the machine.config settings...

do you have any tips ?

thx
Fred

WEB.CONFIG CODE

EVENT LOG ERROR

Type gebeurtenis:	Waarschuwing
Bron van gebeurtenis:	ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0
Categorie van gebeurtenis:	Webgebeurtenis 
Gebeurtenis-ID:	1310
Datum:		8/06/2010
Tijd:		8:39:03
Beschrijving:
Gebeurteniscode: 3008  Gebeurtenisbericht: Er is een configuratiefout opgetreden.  Gebeurtenistijd: 8/06/2010 8:39:03  Gebeurtenistijd (UTC): 8/06/2010 6:39:03  Gebeurtenis-id: 87d3c3b9fcbc40938f289e236e2157fb  Gebeurtenisreeks: 92  Gebeurtenisinstantie: 1  Gebeurtenisdetailcode: 0    Toepassingsinformatie:      Toepassingsdomein: c8e2c347-1-129204527198652015      Vertrouwensniveau: Full      Virtueel pad toepassing: /asp.netwebadminfiles      Toepassingspad: C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\asp.netwebadminfiles\    Procesinformatie:      Proces-id: 6108      Procesnaam: WebDev.WebServer.EXE    Uitzonderingsinformatie:      Uitzonderingstype: ConfigurationErrorsException      Uitzonderingsbericht: Unknown connection string parameter . (C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Config\machine.config line 163)    Aanvraaginformatie:      Aanvraag-URL: http://localhost:4779/asp.netwebadminfiles/security/users/addUser.aspx      Aanvraagpad: /asp.netwebadminfiles/security/users/addUser.aspx    Threadinformatie:      Thread-id: 8      Imiteert: True      Stacktracering:    bij System.Web.Configuration.ProvidersHelper.InstantiateProvider(ProviderSettings providerSettings, Type providerType)
   bij System.Web.Configuration.ProvidersHelper.InstantiateProviders(ProviderSettingsCollection configProviders, ProviderCollection providers, Type providerType)
   bij System.Web.Security.Membership.Initialize()
   bij System.Web.UI.WebControls.LoginUtil.GetProvider(String providerName)
   bij System.Web.UI.WebControls.CreateUserWizard.get_QuestionAndAnswerRequired()
   bij System.Web.UI.WebControls.CreateUserWizard.UpdateValidators()
   bij System.Web.UI.WebControls.CreateUserWizard.CreateChildControls()
   bij System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls()
   bij System.Web.UI.WebControls.Wizard.OnInit(EventArgs e)
   bij System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer)
   bij System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
   bij System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
   bij System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
   bij System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestWithNoAssert(HttpContext context)
   bij System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
   bij ASP.security_users_adduser_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) in c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\asp.netwebadminfiles\9d4caaa4\c2ae7372\App_Web_rzp4agwt.0.cs:regel 0
   bij System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
   bij System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Tue 08 Jun 2010 17:04

Sorry, but the "Unknown connection string parameter" fix was not included into the *.140 build. StanislavK meant another fix
with the membership provider (http://www.devart.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18028). Please use a workaround
with removing the corresponding entries from machine.config. Look forward to the next build of dotConnect for MySQL.

goethals.f

Post by goethals.f » Wed 09 Jun 2010 07:12

Shalex wrote:Sorry, but the "Unknown connection string parameter" fix was not included into the *.140 build. StanislavK meant another fix
with the membership provider (http://www.devart.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18028). Please use a workaround
with removing the corresponding entries from machine.config. Look forward to the next build of dotConnect for MySQL.
OK,

Thanks for the info. We will use the workaround for now

Remark: I assume you mean the next build of dotconnect for Oracle, I hope :D

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Wed 09 Jun 2010 10:34

Yes, dotConnect for Oracle. Usually we release all dotConnect products simultaneously.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Wed 07 Jul 2010 17:55

New build of dotConnect for Oracle 5.70.146 is available for download now!
It can be downloaded from http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle/download.html (trial version) or from Registered Users' Area (for users with valid subscription only).
For more information, please refer to http://www.devart.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18424 .